central otago bunny hunt

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
madracer

central otago bunny hunt

Post by madracer »

just had a long weekend so mandaged to get away for a few days shooting, was pretty weak on the photos but got a couple anyway.

accomadation

18 of us arrived at 10am saturday morning, after talking to farmers we set off in 4 groups to various areas, the bunnys had been shot at a lot so when they were shot at most of them dissapeared into there holes. i found myself a nice shot a managed to knock over 8 with the 204 but was having a bit of trouble with range estimation, others did better than i did which led to a total of 127 for the day.
After dark we headed out again and i was just in a 4wd shooting out the windows and others were in trucks with shooting frames on there decks. we got 60 by 2330 others didnt get back till 4am and they got just over 400.
sunday came around and with the late night we didnt get out until 1130ish. this day i knocked over 9 from nine with the 204 with shots up to 200yds (no 500yd shots but all taken from field positions) people i was shooting with had shotguns and 22s and they got 10.
another night shoot followed but this time i got to shoot from one of the shooting trucks. shotguns were the weapons of choice but unfortunatlly id used most of my ammo the previous night, i was left with only 40 rounds. this was not the most efficent shooting i have ever done but definatly the most fun. we had two shooters on the back with two spotlighters who would spot them animals, then the car would go over to them and it was our job to shoot them. that night we could pretty much go from animal to animal without stopping. fog rolled in making it impossible to shoot so we went back by 9 pm, the two cars that went out got about 90 in a hour.
we went for a final hunt on monday morning with 8 of us spread out on a hill shooting as the rabbits made a run for it. we got 23. After that we packed up we got away about 1430.

totals for the weekend were just over 800 all up. which included 10 cats, a duck and some ferets and stoats. i got 17 bunnys with the 204.
KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Re: central otago bunny hunt

Post by KVW »

Are them all rabbits that I see in the first picture? :eek: It sounds like it would be alot of fun.
Sure is some nice scenery in your area of the world also. :mrgreen:
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Madracer, Nice story and I love the shot of the mountains covered in snow! Gary
AZ Bullet
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527varmint & 600 remington now chambered in 204

Post by AZ Bullet »

Wow target rich!! I had a dream like that.