Wild Goat Shooting New Zealand

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
AirCorps
.204 Ruger Guns: Accuracy Systems Custom AR-15 .204 Ruger

Wild Goat Shooting New Zealand

Post by AirCorps »

Thought this may be of interest to other members. This video was shot by me in North Island of New Zealand. Rifle used was an Accuracy Systems Custom AR-15 in .204 with a 24" Douglas .936" diameter ultra match barrel. This rifle will hold sub.25moa groups all day long.

Total count for the day was 35 goats, 10 turkeys and 2 hares. Longest shot on a goat was 425yds on the rangefinder. 3 goats failed to drop on the first shot, this was entirely due to operator error. i.e. miss calculating the holdover on steep angled shots causing the round to impact too high and miss the vitals.

We have no Coyotes in NZ so this is the next best thing for size. I used 40gr V-max hornady factory all day and was more than satisfied with its terminal performance and would have no hesitation in taking an animal of this size out to 500yds.

Video link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dGEMVOX_CI
K_Hini

Re: Wild Goat Shooting New Zealand

Post by K_Hini »

I am jealous!!! That is a sweet gun and man would I love to get out and do some shooting like that!!!!!

kyle
AK204
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Hawkeye

Post by AK204 »

Sweet....

Got any kill pics?
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Tell us about the scope! That quite the rig you have set up very nice.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

That looked liked some great fun! Great shots. Good going guys.
AirCorps
.204 Ruger Guns: Accuracy Systems Custom AR-15 .204 Ruger

Post by AirCorps »

Ryan S Albright wrote:Tell us about the scope! That quite the rig you have set up very nice.
Thanks for the comments. Going out again on Saturday this time with a .308 FNH PBR XP shooting Black Hills 175's and an Accuracy Systems Heavy Barrel Mini-14 with 77gr .223 Blackhills. Will post another video and try to get some kill pictures. The scope used on the AR was an IOR 4-28x56mm introduced at the Shot Show last year. It features a 40mm main tube which gives 112 Moa elevation. The reticle type is MP-8 which is perfect for field shooting. Hash marks are divided into .5 , 1 mil increments and are laser etched and illuminated. The glass comes from Schott in Germany and the lenses are ground ,coated and assembled in Romania.IOR have been making scopes since 1936 and during the cold war were the largest manufacturer of military optics in the world. Lots of people have their favourite scopes but these are the most fantastic optics I have ever used. I have regular arguments with Nightforce and Leupold fans. I can not stress this point enough, If you are in the market for a top end scope IOR is a must for your short list.Don't buy anything until you see one. I think I have the only one down here and they are as rare as hens teeth at the moment. If you want any more info give Val or Scott a ring at IOR Valdada in Colorado. They also make a 2-12, 3-18, 9-36 amongst others.

Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Man, that would be a fun and wild trip, whakin bigger critters like that. Anytime you can go out and shoot multiple targets in a day is rated at the top for me. I'm jealous.
Savage Vaporizer
wadevb1

Post by wadevb1 »

That does look like some fun. Looks like good country for a cosine indicator. I ended up getting a NF but there is nothing wrong with IOR.
Semi-custom LVSF 204
dbullock

Post by dbullock »

What happened to the video on youtube? I wanted to show a friend of mine but it is gone.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

What a great looking setup! How much does the scope cost down your way? What kind of warranty do they offer? I'm a Leupold fan but I've got an open mind, especially if it saves me money! :lol: Gary
Jeff_8
.204 Ruger Guns: None yet!

Post by Jeff_8 »

dbullock wrote:What happened to the video on youtube? I wanted to show a friend of mine but it is gone.
I wanted to do the same, I spent ages at a friends house trying to find it. It was one of the best long range shooting ones on youtube.

Jeff

:camper: :assault: