Too early for 'chucks?

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Too early for 'chucks?

Post by Verminator2 »

Nah.....

My dad and I shot these two rockchucks today at 150 yards. My dad took out the whole front chest of his rockchuck (right, with the good looking gun) and knocked him over.. Mine was facing me and I put the crosshairs under his chin and squeezed. I rolled him back down into his hole (left, with the nicer looking gun ;) :lol: ). He had brains coming out both his ears :eew: I shot another one at 266 yards about 30 minutes before these two, but I hit him low and he made in to far into his hole for me to fish him out. No gore shots for you guys though.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Re: Too early for 'chucks?

Post by savage rookie »

That is a great picture, but I about cryed when I (thought) saw that purdy wood sitting against that rock, breathed a sign of relief when I finally noticed the bipod.

Bpaige
The handle of the axe comes from the tree it chops.
Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

Lol :lol:
Gone Ballistic

Post by Gone Ballistic »

Verminator2

I know I'm dredging up an old post but I had to make a response. We had some of the BEST rockchuck hunting in the U.S. here in Southern Idaho for many years. You could literally shoot 200 to 300 a day. This went on for years until some guys started going out too early and shooting the chucks before the pups were weaned. Now it's tough to find many at all.

I also know this is going to start an avalanche of controversy but in short, to answer your post question above, YES, I do think it's too early to shoot 'hogs. I don't want you to end up like it is here with nothing left to shoot. Remember, for each female you shoot today, you're eliminating about 5 for later this year and potentially 25 for next year. I saw the snow still on the ground in your photos and couldn't help but respond. I'm not coming down on you and your Dad as much as I'd like EVERYONE to regulate themselves so it isn't done for us by the Fish and Game !

OK, "let it rain" ..... I've got broad shoulders ! :wall:
"The only thing a pistol is good for, is to fight your way to your rifle." ....the late Jeff Cooper

The only two people willing to die for you are Jesus Christ and an American G.I. .... Thank them both !
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I hunt the crop fields early in the year. It's the way the farmers want me to do it. I sure can't argue with them on that. However,, I don't HAVE to shoot every groundhog I see. Some of them seem to get away on occasion. :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

Gone Ballistic, I didn't think about the pregnant females. What I meant in my post is if the rockchucks weren't out yet, but you do have a point. Luckily these two were both males. But I do know some people like them being taken out early (farmers). You got a point and thanks for sharing.
Gone Ballistic

Post by Gone Ballistic »

Thank you for taking my criticism in the light in which it was intended :D
"The only thing a pistol is good for, is to fight your way to your rifle." ....the late Jeff Cooper

The only two people willing to die for you are Jesus Christ and an American G.I. .... Thank them both !
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

It goes the same for coyote. Shooting them this time of year is to get rid of them in ranch and farm area's where they are creating a problem. Some area's down here in Southern California where they have colonies of rock squirrels which are great targets have just about been cleaned out of area's where you can shoot. We can get to good at what we do. Some of the area's where I use to shoot have no shooting any more. Fires swept through and even though there where squirrels left they didn't prosper and disappeared. I am not sure but they might have been thinned down a little two much and when disaster a cured they couldn't survive. And on that sad note thats why I like the alfalfa fields so much.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Hey great looking chucks wish I was there. Thanks for the pictures.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Verm2: GoneB is right; we had the same thing happen here a few years ago...guys got the itch early, shot the crap out of some great areas, and now you're lucky to find one chuck sitting on a rock.

We normally hold off until early to mid-May to give the young'un's a chance to come out of the burrow, and mom is done doing her chores.

I'm glad you responded in the positive though....shows thought and maturity. Have a great season....we're headed your way tomorrow morning. PM sent too....
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

razor100
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by razor100 »

what model Cooper is that? any upgrades to it? I want one!
Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

Pretty sure its a Model 21, no upgrades. This thing is an amazing shooter, Dad did a ladder test and there were two holes, both less than .25" :eek: Most everything shoots to the same POI too. It has a Leupold VX-III LR 6.5-20 on it.