PLEASE HELP

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
happy shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 11 / ruger target gray

PLEASE HELP

Post by happy shooter »

Please help I am new here but have been checking out this forum for about a year now. Picked up alot of good info just viewing posts. But now I am planning a PD hunt in S.Dakota in JUNE 2008. Never done this before, so we booked a trip with an outfitter. Two days of shooting. Guide says bring 400 rounds per day per man. I can not imagin that much shooting. Here in western Pa. I am lucky to find 3-5 ground hog a day to shoot at. Is this too much or is it possible I will need this much (hope so)? Also is a 200 yard zero about right? Any helpfull info would be great. I plan on taking my 204 / 220 swift / 222 Thank you Rick S.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: PLEASE HELP

Post by acloco »

Honestly, I would not go out for two days without at least 1000 rounds.

Highest round count for one day was 800 rounds.
race4hills

Post by race4hills »

400 to 500 rounds a day is possable if you get into some good towns. It's better to have too many than not ! I would say 400+ 204's , 400 222's and maybe 200 220's. You won't want to shoot the 220 very much at a time. 2" at 200 yards should be good to 300 and hold over after that. Or you might want to zero at 100 and make a come up chart.
Good luck and have fun! :D
204 try it you'll like it!
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

When I go on a rat shoot, I take the following: .204, 800 to 1000 rnds for 3 days. .17HMR, 1000 to 1500 rnds. .22LR 1000 rnds. I don't use it all but it is good to have it just in case one of the rifles has a problem. Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum and don't forget to post pictures of you adventure, we love pictures around here. :lol: Gary
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Better to have extra no doubt. My first trip was last year Memorial weekend. We played around a bit Friday eve, had a heck of a day Saturday, and had windy/rainy/cold Sunday so we packed it in. That said, we were satisfied with one good days shooting and even at that it was only a partial day as we spent the better part of the morning looking for a place to shoot. I went through 2-300 rounds myself. I could see shooting a few more and would have done about as many agin on Sunday if the weather would have cooperated. I'd say pace yourself as you won't believe what this will take out of a guy. This year I'm leaving the 22 LR home. The 204s (Rem and Sako) can do it all for me, and I just may have a 6.5mm for the really windy times.

I zero at 100 and adjust from there. Puts you pretty much point and shoot from 50-200 yards
Last edited by TD-Max on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

happy: All the advice given so far is spot-on. If you've never shot PD's before, plan for the most memorable shooting experience you've had in your lifetime to date. You were wise to use an outfitter/guide for your first time too, as no sense driving around looking for a place to shoot and use up valuable shooting days/vacation time.

What has been given as a round count is also completely accurate; you won't believe all the shooting you'll have, especially in a good PD town. Don't overheat that Swift, save it for the afternoon and the wind that will come up. Plan on using 55gr or heavier bullets in it, and if it's a fast twist Swift, all the better, as the heavier VLD's really shine out there. The 204 has become my rodent caliber of choice, and you'll want the most ammo for that rifle.

Be sure to take sunscreen, a sun shade if you have one (with spikes/anchors for the wind), and good high top boots, I NEVER wear sneakers out there, snakes, cactus spines, and other nasties that are best avoided by wearing a good pair of boots. Also be sure to take a good binocular, rangefinder, shooting bench, all your cleaning gear, wide brim hat and plenty of H2O. If you don't have a bench, take knee and elbow pads if you plan to shoot prone. Even shooting from the hood, top of the cab, or off the truck canopy from the tailgate beats prone.

Take at least 100 rounds MORE for each rifle than you really think you'll need; always good to bring the surplus home, rather than have the little furballs thumbing their noses at you on top of their mound at 250 yards, and you're out of ammo! :eew:

to get you in the mood, here's some of my crew last season here in Oregon having their way with Skippy and his pals:

Have a great time, and remember to take your camera! We want pictures when you get back. :D Oh, and welcome to the forum too!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

happy shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 11 / ruger target gray

Post by happy shooter »

Hey thanks guys I gess I have to buy more brass & bullets . Sounds like the outfitter may be spot on. Buy the way anybody ever had experiance with midway dog town bullets? How do they shoot as to v-max? thanks again
tmfisher57
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500 .204 Leoupold VX-2 6x18x40 AO

Post by tmfisher57 »

Welcome aboard Happy. I shoot rockchucks with the 34gr. Dogtown bullets. My Howa 1500 .204 really likes em'. at 300yrds. they REALLY mess up a chucks day. For coyotes I go to a 39gr. Blitzking, My gun shoots both at about .5" (if I do my part of course!) Give em' a try and see, they're cheap and if they work out for you great!
tmfisher57