Kansas, Nebraska, SD Prairie Dogs

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Kansas, Nebraska, SD Prairie Dogs

Post by Mike »

I'm starting to put together a prairie dog hunt for 2008. Last year I had a phenomenal time in Wyoming and will definitely go back. However, I'd like to find some other places that are a bit closer to home (Southwest Missouri) that I could visit more than once a year.

I'm not looking for anyone to give up their personal spots. I'm just looking for basic geographical areas that I can focus in on and do my own leg work. I've been looking for places in Kansas, but my searches thus far have been fruitless. I'd appreciate any help or advice from members.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Kansas, Nebraska, SD Prairie Dogs

Post by Hotshot »

Check out North of Valentine, Neb. and into the Rose bud Indian Res. in South Dakota. That should save you some miles.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks, Hotshot! I appreciate that info. I have been looking around Gregory, SD, which isn't too far from Valentine. Seems like that area has some good prairie dog populations.

In a totally unrelated topic, I'm making a trip up to Missoula late this summer for vacation. I'd like to see Northwestern Montana and Northern Idaho. Any places that I should be sure not to miss?
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

In Missoula see the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, then Flathead Lake and Glacier Park to the North. I love the Libby, Mt. area too. In Northern Idaho go to Sandpoint and Coeur d'Alene. That will keep you very busy because it's a lot of driving. Enjoy Montana and drive safely.
contender hunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 23'' Bull BBL. Custom laminate Stock

Post by contender hunter »

If you have time while your in Missoula and you fish , check out the Lochsa river that runs along rte. 12 west out of Missoula , we were out there one year elk hunting the LO-LO trail and hit the river on the way out it was great !!! Have fun!!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Are there any prairie dog towns around Pratt, KS? That area would be convenient for me to get to, but I haven't found much about dog downs out there. Thanks!
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

another 200 miles west..........
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
Mike

Post by Mike »

skb2706 wrote:another 200 miles west..........
So I should be focusing my efforts around the state line (perhaps Johnson City area). In your experience, are places to hunt hard to come by?

When I went to Wyoming, I didn't have much trouble finding places. I wonder if it's the same in Kansas?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it! You can PM if you prefer.