cabin fever dogs

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
skb2706

cabin fever dogs

Post by skb2706 »

Just got back from a great weekend of shootin pds at my sisters farm. Even the weather cooperated with us for the most part. Since we took my son and step son I was mostly relegated to spotter/guide/ammo controller....its ok it beats sitting at home watchin the snow fall. I watched my son taking out prairie dogs with his factory TC .204 at some pretty long ranges....well over 300 and more than one over 400 yds. Great way to get over cabin fever and prepare for late spring dogs.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: cabin fever dogs

Post by acloco »

Awesome. Any pictures?
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Mamma does all the picture taken...nobody else wants to fool with the camera.
When I remember to bring the SD card I post a few.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Way to go skb! In another three weeks, my crew and I will be out doing what we love best too. I think 'mom' needs to hook you up with a pocket digital camera of your own.....if I can operate one, anyone can! ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

rick - its not a matter of "knowing how", its a matter of "wanting too"...lol. None of us boys want to use the camera and only after mamma does then we decide that was pretty cool. We've been trying to get out but the weather, work and family illnesses have kept us all home for a while. It was nice to get out and theres plenty of dogs.
We took the youngest boys .204, a 22-250 AI and my 6mm along with 300 rds. of ammo. Worked out just right as the wind would occasionally come up and we'd get cold. Sun would come out and we'd be peelin off jackets.
We only hit two small towns because I want to leave the big ones for later on in May/June....
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

SKB: I figured a smart young man such as yourself had the know-how for the camera thingie if you own and operate centerfire rifles. ;)

Glad you were able to get out and get warmed up on the dogs that were out. We're gettin' spring fever here too. Our ranch has not been shot since last year, and with the sunny days here and there, they're coming up out of their burrows now. Hope you all stay healthy and the season is a good one for you. In a few weeks, we'll have some pics of our next adventure.....don't forget to take mom and the camera on yours! :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

race4hills

Post by race4hills »

For me it's all about the weather. Whether or not I remember to stop shooting and take pictures. :lol:
204 try it you'll like it!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

race: That's what you do while your barrel's cooling! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

hey Rick
i went out a week ago thursday down here in n. CA. i went to a spot close to where you took that picture a while ago, that i asked you about. i went by myself, and had a pretty good shoot on them beldings. at one time i had 2 hot barrels, .223 and .204, so i sat down and ate lunch. this was my first time shooting for blood with the 204. i may have to drop my zero down a couple clicks thou on the 204. i didn't realize how flat these 204's shoot. i was shooting out to about 200yds, and still shooting over the top of them, so i had to hold a little low on most of my shots. i had no camera, but the 204 is amazing. really cool watching them explode in the scope. am shooting 32gr. Vmax, with 27.2 grs. of benchmark and wsr primers. velocity is around 4000 fps. this is the load my howa seems to like the best. next time i will try to remember the camera. i have CRS disease, ( can't remember stuff) so i don't remember like i used to.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

futuretrades: Glad to hear you were able to get out after Skippy with that 204 now that we're getting some good squirrel weather. Even after two full seasons shooting mine, it still amazes me how flat this caliber shoots. Like you, if I've been shooting for a while using one of my 223's, or even my 223 Ackley, I'll almost always shoot over at least the first rat when I grab my 204 (my Swift is about the only exception).

The reverse is true too, after shooting a 204 for a while, you'll almost always shoot low using any other varmint caliber. Exactly why I'm building my 2nd 204....one is just not enough. ;)

On forgetting that camera......CRS here too, and that's why I have what I call "The Varmint List" with check boxes. It's got all my support gear listed; sunshade, sunscreen, bore guides, camera, etc....you get the idea. Before I made the list up, I'd forget something about every time.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA