I am looking for a new bi-pod. Any suggestions?

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

I am looking for a new bi-pod. Any suggestions?

Post by Va varminter »

I am looking for one that can be used prone and sitting. All of the ones I have seen are Either prone Or sitting.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
Hawkeye Joe

Re: I am looking for a new bi-pod. Any suggestions?

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I don't think anybody makes one that covers both positions with one bipod. I have 3 Harris to cover my needs. A solid BR type with no swivel. A 6-9 and 13.5-27 with swivel for prone and sitting
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

eraser3214

Post by eraser3214 »

I agree with Hawkeye Joe, I have a 6-9 that works well for the bench and prone, and I have one that I think is something like 13-25 or something and It's a bit to high for prone and a little to short to sit.
Super 91

Post by Super 91 »

One I bought I have fell in love with is the Stoney Point Pole cats. http://www.opticsplanet.net/stoney-poin ... bipod.html First time I saw them I didn't give them a second look. But once I bought one and tried it, I bought several more. Cheap, but well made and easy to use. The rubber on them allow you to pivot the bipod in any direction, and you can attach and detach in seconds. Very light, and you can spread the legs really far if you want to go prone, or pull them together for sitting. Very go system for the $. Worth a look anyway. Once you get the bipod, you can get the adapter and put one on all your rifles, then in seconds you can move the bipod from one rifle to the other in seconds with zero tools.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I use the stoney point pivots also. Nice tool for the hunter on the go.
Va varminter

Post by Va varminter »

I could not find one I liked so I just made my own. I took 2 three foot metal rods 3/8 dia. Cut them in half (give or take a few inches). Thread both cut ends from both rods to 3/8-16. I got two 2"x3/8 coupling nuts. Thread both threaded ends into the nut. At the other end, take a 3/8 rubber tube about 8 inches long. Double over the tube and cut it so that its almost half into. Take one of the rods and poke it through from the middle cut to the end. Do the same thing with the other rod from the cut to the other end. Cross the rods and there it is. Unscrew the bottom rods to make a prone bi-pod, or keep it together for sitting.
Super 91

Post by Super 91 »

Cool! Can you post pics of your rig with the bipod you made? I would love to see it. I think it's cool you made your own.
skunkriver

Post by skunkriver »

WTG!! And you can even put a small bolt in the coupling to protect threads in the prone position.
Make good decisions!!!
contender hunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 23'' Bull BBL. Custom laminate Stock

Post by contender hunter »

Super which length did you go with to cover sitting and prone positions ??
Va varminter

Post by Va varminter »

The lenght from the cradle of the bi-pod to the tips is 13.5" for prone. And I can make it higher or lower by spreading the legs in or out. The total length of prone leg is 20". I have the tube slid down quite a ways on the rods.
Funbronco
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS

Post by Funbronco »

I use the caldwell. it is I think 14 to 27 inches. I am a big guy so it works for me prone and it is simply awesome sitting. It has pivot and swivel and is rock steady compared to others I have used. I got it on Ebay for I think $69
This is so much fun I can hardly stand it!!
Funbronco
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS

Post by Funbronco »

Funbronco wrote:I use the caldwell. it is I think 14 to 27 inches
Sorry, It is 14 to 30 inches
This is so much fun I can hardly stand it!!
GAJoe

Post by GAJoe »

+1 for Stoney point rapid pivot. I love mine!
GAJoe
Ezek 33:11 ... I take no pleasure in the death of wicked people. I only want them to turn from their wicked ways so they can live."
2Peter 3:9 The Lord is...not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance."
John 3:16
MinotBob
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender G2 .204 Ruger

Post by MinotBob »

If you want to make your own this on from VarmintAl is pretty simple. I like it. http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm
MinotBob
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

My preference is the Harris 9-13" leg-notch swivel model because most of my coyote calling stands AND my prairie dog shooting is done from the prone position. I don't want to use several different height bipods because then you might have the wrong one on when you get to a calling stand. I prefer to leave the 9-13" Harris on permanently and carry along my homemade shooting sticks for those stands where I have to set up in a sitting position. I also install the Pod-Loc accessory on every Harris swivel bipod I buy. I have three of them right now. Here's a photo of the leg notches on my bipod:

I did a camo paint job on my Pac-Nor barreled .17 Remington and did the same camo job on the Harris bipod:

I made my shooting sticks out of the fiberglass electric fence posts. They come presharpened on one end and can be cut to any length you want. You can use castration bands as the hinge or drill a small hole up where you want the hinging action to take place a put a small bolt in there. I use 3/8" rubber fuel line to rest the forearm on in the top crotch.

Here's a closeup photo of the hinge area on my set with the bolt as the hinge before I was completely done painting the sticks and the rubber hose:

Here's a closeup photo of the hinge area on my set with castration bands serving as the hinge before I was completely done painting the rubber hose:

I usually paint the rubber hose and the whole length of the shooting sticks with Krylon Khaki Tan as the base color and then spray on some leaf patterns with darker colors to break up the outline of the sticks. Sorry, but I don't have a photo of the camo paint job on the shooting sticks.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox