Second, maybe Third varmint gun

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
TD-Max

Re: Second, maybe Third varmint gun

Post by TD-Max »

It just hit me that my little plinker could/should be a .204 just in a different gun! Duh... Closeout on Rem 700 LVSF if I can find one would make a nice light gun.

Had a suggestion for a closeout XR100 in 22-250 (rebarrel later as 260)

The Sako VLSS in 260 is not imported to US so I might look for a 250 or 243 or for an option to get one brought over somehow.
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TD-M: Yep, the Rem 700 LVSF would indeed make a dandy carry rifle in 204, and as you probably know, it's chambered in our favorite caliber to boot.

The Rem XR-100, although a very nice rifle, is NOT by any term "light". It's intended to be shot off the bench or bipod.

If you've got your heart set on a Sako, you may want to contact a large Beretta dealer, or call Accokeek direct (their US Corp Offices), and see if you can get one brought in for you. If you PM me, I'll be glad to give you names and their phone number. It would take a while to bring in a .260 Rem rifle, but would sure be worth the wait.

See how much fun you're having already? And you really haven't even actually started the rifle project! :eek:
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

The XR would be more a BR use and the LVSF would be the carry.

I have a local shop searching for the LVSF in 204. They are discontinued and selling for around $700 less $50 rebate FYI.
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

I don’t want to rain on anyones Remington parade, but they are not an absolute if you are hoping for a “good rifle”. There have been more than a few posts on this site and others about some very poor quality barrels and actions. My brother’s LVSF had the worst barrel that either of us had ever seen. Actual rifling missing on inspection with the bore scope. It was a donor gun for a custom build anyway but I would have pitied the guy that thought he was getting a quality rifle and got that one. There was also a void in the bolt face that was not manifested until the firing pin bushing was installed. He has made a number of builds off of 700 actions and all have performed well but the last one will be the last one forever. Just too much work to get it right. I will also admit that some have been very pleased with the factory offerings from Remington and I am sure there are a lot of satisfied people with their Remington builds. I have a 270 that I had built 30 years ago off a 700 action that is still in my safe and is a great rifle. If you are going to build, it does not pencil out well to go with a donor Remington rifle or even an action. You would be better off to start with a Stiller action and do a custom build off that. Why roll the dice when you can get a proven performer the first time. Next best, try to order that Sako or go for a Cooper. You will be able to get you money out of either of those. You will never make out on a Remington.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

WP: Point well taken. If it were not for the fact that I had a donor stainless M700 action in the safe, I would not have used it for my latest 204 project rifle. This particular action is proven, as I shot thousands of rounds through it when it had a .223 Rem barrel screwed on to it.

If I were starting a build from scratch, like you, I'd go for a Stiller, Nesika, Hall, Panda, etc.

I am a bit surprised though, that the Rem 700 LVSF has been discontinued, as I was under the impression that sales were doing well.

TD-M: I've got two buddies with XR-100's, and both seem to shoot quite well, with hits on our ground squirrels well past 400 yards. The new thumbhole, laminated SS versions such as the one Captqc owns, shoots very well with factory ammo. You may want to consider one of those for your bench rig.

Here's the Capt. himself pausing during a high volume barrage on Skippy this past season (there were alot of flying squirrels on that trip!):

Note the holstered Ruger MK-III Hunter IPDW for those sneaky little buggers that get too close to the bench! ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Maybe the LVSF II is in the works???

What is Acoceek?

One thing that I did see is that Sako lists most all models as available with the set trigger in the brochure at sako.fi

Any idea if it's possible/practical to have someone in Europe bring one over and leave it here? Not sure about Intl transport, but I have customers in Norway etc who typically have their items shipped to a US address and brought back with people visiting the States.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

If you guys want an XR-100 you better hurry up. Rem discontinued them for 2008.
With Remington making bone headed decisions like that I'm glad I'm a Savage fan.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TD-Max: Accokeek is a small town in Maryland just south of DC on the Potomac River where Beretta USA is headquartered. PM sent with contact info.

From my travels in Europe, bringing back items is not all that hard, but a firearm involves more paperwork for anyone wanting to do so. Possible, do-able, just more hassle and you may pay a bit more after the import taxes are applied. I'd find a donor rifle here for your project.

jo191145: Interesting Remington would discontinue some target/varmint style rifles, then introduce a semi-auto AR platform rifle. It seems hard to define the logic being applied by the new corporate owners.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Rick
Very hard to figure considering the upcoming election. Remingtons AR clone will be one of the first on the chopping block :cry:
Now I know why it doesn't come in black.

Is it possible they temporarily halted production of some guns in order to have the ability to flood the market with their R-15's if consumer demand skyrockets. :chin:
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense but its the only sense I can see. If I were ever to buy a Remmy it would be a XR-100, nice guns. Would be much nicer with a barrel nut :D

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
race4hills

Post by race4hills »

If anyone is looking for a new XR100 in 204, there are a few on Gun Broker .com at what I think is a good price. I got mine for $610.00 plus $25.00 shiping and $20.00 FFL for total of $655.00. The outfit I got it from still had two more listed on there today. Just do a search (204 Ruger) it will show all the 204s they have.
204 try it you'll like it!
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

OK, here's my present train of thought:

1) Tikka T3 Lite stainless for my walking, plinking toy. Inexpensive, lightweight and shoots well. My preference is 204 Ruger, but they don't offer that in the states so I may go .223. Then again, I have 22-250 dies and brass. If the Sako Finnlight was available in a 204...

2) Sako Varmint Laminated Stainless Set trigger like my .204 in a .260 preferrably, .243 secondarily. It will eventually grow to be a 260 Improved. The .260 is not available in US either, so .243 may be the only choice, but any of these guns are hard to find. In a perfect world, it would be the identical twin to my 204 only in the Grey Wolf finish to set it apart.

I have a contact in Norway who is looking into the availability, and practicality of obtaining one and then getting it here.

FYI, the Sako and Tikka brochures from Finland all list the single set trigger and threaded muzzle as options fo most any of their guns. It sure would be nice to be able to just order what a guy wants and have it in a few months...

I plan to follow Rick's suggestion of contacting Beretta direct.
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

OK, I located a new 700 LV SF in 204 spoke for it, and will pick up in the not too distant future. Still waiting to hear on the Sako in 260 Rem.

I figure to hand down my VXIII to the Remmy and then start looking for something better for my Sako 204.
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Rick in Oregon wrote:TD-M: Sure, starting with a 260 Rem in a Sako would be about perfect for what you're after. You may even want to improve the chamber later on. Also, like jo191145 said, I'd ditch the Mini-14 idea; one of the most inaccurate modern weapons on the market, bar none. I've got a couple of custom 10-22's that will outshoot the Mini any day of the week. The only way to get a Mine-14 to shoot well, is to sink a bunch of money into it, and for what you end up with, it's just not worth the effort. A good AR would beat it hands down.

Here's the link I mentioned. Once you read the article, you'll see what I mean. All the parent cases discussed are of a moderate powder capacity such as the .308 Win case. I'd not go the 270 WSM route either for what you want. As the article shows, you don't need 70 to 80 grains or more of powder to shoot at extended range as long as you use an efficient case design, along with high BC bullets at moderate velocity. The 1,000 yard competitors need all the advantages they can get, and the 6.5mm caliber is what they're migrating to, so varmint shooters should pay attention to save themselves much money, time, and bruised shoulders. :chin:

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shoo ... creedmoor/

Good luck with the project!
If the Sako can't be had, I found another option:

http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... dition.asp