Mystery ?

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
adam

Re: Mystery ?

Post by adam »

Thanks for ypur replies gentlemen. If it happens again I will definately skin the little blighter and post the results :D
' Your here for a good time, not a long time'
Varmonter

Post by Varmonter »

My friend and i have shot ducks and when skinning them out
we havn't found any evidence of a hit. Figure the shot cup knocked them out.
:lol:
contender hunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 23'' Bull BBL. Custom laminate Stock

Post by contender hunter »

I agree with Fiman , I hit a big woodchuck this spring at fairly close range and could only find the most tiny hole you could imagine and no exit , and you could tell the insides were jelly when it was picked up . Try skinning one if you want but I'm sure your hitting them good and not seeing the hole.
trevort
.204 Ruger Guns: stiller predator, lilja no 5 1 in 12

Post by trevort »

finman wrote:Hi Adam,

the most likely explanation is that the bullet hit the rabbit but did not fragment. Hence it went through the length of the critter (busting bones on the way) and even exited, but leaving a very small hole that you would not notice unless you skinned the animal.

I have had the same experience when shooting rabbits with the .17HMR and, at the beginning I thought I scared them to death, but when I skinned them they were an absolute mess, inside, with the outside having just 2 barely perceptible holes (which you could only observe from the non-hairy side of the hide).

I hope this helps .

Best wishes,

Finman
exactly my experience with my 17hmr. i have had absolute devestation with 204s on rabbits and foxes but have a few where the projie did not expand and finding the entry wound was a challenge. Believe me, you didnt scare the rabbit to death and shock waves didnt break its bones.