coyote and 40 noslers

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Robert harrel
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 m ll,cooper mod21, rem 700,savage12 fvb,savage lrpv

coyote and 40 noslers

Post by Robert harrel »

Saturday afternoon while at work i noticed a coyote tugging on a dead cow aprox. 200 yard away
the only ammo i could find was some in my pickup was some nosler custom with 40 gr bt advertised vel 3620 fps which my lrpv was not sighted in for
i took the shot anyway (slaapp! i love that sound) coyote jumps spins and ran off down a draw. when my coworkers and i walked down the draw we found one young dead coyote with a chunk of meat missing. the round hit her just at the bottom of her chest and left gouge you could lay coke can in all the way across

do you all think this bullet might be any fur friendlyer with a better shot?
If not for my forgetful nature remembering things would be no problem at all.
20-250ai

Re: coyote and 40 noslers

Post by 20-250ai »

Yes and no, here's why. Ive found that the 40NBT is half copper lenght wise. Your going to have a exit wound with any broadside hit at close to mid range as the solid base will go throu and throu. I find the 39gr. BK's to be the ticket for coyotes with the .204 Ruger.
In larger wildcats like the 20-250ai, 20 BR, or 20-225Win. the 40gr. v-max's rule the day.
Image.

.......................20-250ai
Robert harrel

Post by Robert harrel »

i figured there would still have plenty of damage not that it matters to much because i not shoot for the fur
interesting on the nosler build though never have split any of the different brands to see how they are built
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Dang I need a job where I can shoot coyotes!!!
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

I have to agree with Rugerdoddog, how do you get a job were you get to shoot yotes? Life is good! :lol: Gary
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yep, varmint shooting while on the way or going home from work beats any commute I've ever heard of! :lol:

Last week on Friday, my wife and I were returning to work from lunch, and a beauty five point mulie buck strolled across the road, stopped dead in the middle, and stared at us for about 15 seconds in front of us, about 20' from the front bumper......this is only about 1/4 mile from my office. This is mid-way between my house and office....but even if it had been a juicy coyote, all my rifles were at home in the safe anyway....pout...... :?

Moral: Robert, you've got it made buddy!! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Robert harrel

Post by Robert harrel »

kiss called one in a couple months ago to about 30 yrds while sitting in my diesal pickup that was running but couldnot reach my rifle while he was stareing at me
i have for the last few days been watching the deer feeding on the wheat field one is a real nice and wide 8 pointer and a little 6 pointer when the boss is not on the field but still working on land owners permission to take one
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Actually I do have the to and from work part. Monday this week I saw 4 bull elk try to cross the road right in front of my pickup. 2 were 6 pts and one of them was a nice bull. I'm not great at scoring but I would guess him in the 270-320 club. It had my motor revving all week, never have gotten another look at them though.
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.