1st PD Shoot

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
joghotrod

1st PD Shoot

Post by joghotrod »

Well I finally went on my first PD shoot. I met a forum member there and I won't say who because he swore me to secrecy about where we went.We were in the middle of miles of Wheat fields in SE Co. I connected on my first shot at about 120 yds. We didn't get alot of shots today because we started late and we were scouting out where to shoot for Sat. & Sun. It was real windy, but my 1st shot had the wind at my back. The next few shots I missed because of the wind and me. I did get another one in a different field at about 300+ yds. I was using my Dtech AR for these shots. I tried to load a picture of my very 1st PD but photobucket would not work. I will try again tomorrow and hope to have a lot more targets to report. If I can get the pictures to upload I will post the pictures tomorrow.

Jimmy
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.
Arizona Hunter

Re: 1st PD Shoot

Post by Arizona Hunter »

This year was my first year shooting at p-dogs. Man is that fun or what! :D Been out in March and June and now am planning to go again in Nov. Since I did not get drawn for any big game hunts. Also, looks like I'll have time to hunt quail this year.
Last edited by Arizona Hunter on Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

All of you that are new to PD and varmint shooting need to get in as much as possible now, before the possibility of Hillary getting into office, as she's buddy-buddy with our worst gun hating enemies, and would love nothing else than shut us down as soon as possible.

I've been shooting these critters since my return to The World in '67, and have seen both an increase in the amount of shooters getting into it, and the shrinking amount of places to do it, and the political climate getting less friendly in regard to it.

As "she" may get elected, the Demo's have thought she needs a muslim name, as she'll be dealing with women-hating male muslims. The name they've given here is "Seldom Bin Laid"..... :lol:

(Note: Caps left off "muslim" intentionally......)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

That's not very respectfull of the Senator, Rick-but darn funny.
Grayfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP Shilen 1-10 twist

Post by Grayfox »

joghotrod

It's great news to hear you went shooting PD's for the first time. With that Dteck AR in 204 Ruger those PD's don't have a chance. You will clean a hill off before they knew what hit them.

Like Rick in Oregon said, more people are geting into it. Last year two of us tried it. This year my Son and his buddy went for the first time. Next year another guy wants to go along that that just bought an AR 15 in 223 Rem.

Good shooting,Grayfox
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hotshot: As to your post above, I think I'm in good company here to respond to your comment about "respect", with: Respect must be earned.

Believe me, if she gets elected, as gun owners, it will be our worst nightmare, I promise.

'Nuff said on that. :?

joghotrod: Where's those photos of your first PD outing? You know how we love pictures! It sounds like you had a hoot.....we want to share your fun too!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

You'll have to trust me on this but 'joghotrods' Dtech is an absolute nightmare on pds and it has a reach not seen with your typical 1-12 twisted .204. If Jimmy doesn't post somethin then I guess I 'll have to....afterall my wife tooks the pics.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

skb2706 wrote:You'll have to trust me on this but 'joghotrods' Dtech is an absolute nightmare on pds and it has a reach not seen with your typical 1-12 twisted .204. If Jimmy doesn't post somethin then I guess I 'll have to....afterall my wife tooks the pics.
Thanks Steve. I changed my order from a 6mm woa to a 6BR. Should be fun on a AR.

Rick I posted the pics. on a different thread about the same time as this one. I will try to find it and and get it back to the top.

Jimmy
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

Here is the link to some of the pictures.

Jimmy
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Good shootin' there, guys. It appears that extreme dental work and head shots were the order of the day. :lol:

There's nothing like an accurate AR in the PD patch for that followup shot! ;) Thanks for posting the pics.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

tuck2

Post by tuck2 »

The first time I shot a prairie dog back in the 1950s was with a Rem Mdl. 121 22LR w/a side mount Weaver 4X scope . That little slide action 22 LR was good for shots out to about 75 Yds. Back then one land owner would pay me 5 cents for each prairie dog that dident get back into their hole. Very few people would come into the rural where I lived to shoot them back then so as a Kid I got to do a lot of shooting. Over the years I have try out various varmint rifles rounds but now I like to use the 17 HMR, 17 Fireball, and .204 Ruger varmint rifles for shooting prairie dogs. I seem to get more shooting with rifles with low muzzle blast. Hope you all can enjoy the sport as long as I have.
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

Tuck,
Thanks for sharing. Many years ago my older brothers used to get 2 cents for a gopher tail. They never collected too many, but got to use their .22's some.
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

tuck2 wrote:The first time I shot a prairie dog back in the 1950s was with a Rem Mdl. 121 22LR w/a side mount Weaver 4X scope . That little slide action 22 LR was good for shots out to about 75 Yds. Back then one land owner would pay me 5 cents for each prairie dog that dident get back into their hole. Very few people would come into the rural where I lived to shoot them back then so as a Kid I got to do a lot of shooting. Over the years I have try out various varmint rifles rounds but now I like to use the 17 HMR, 17 Fireball, and .204 Ruger varmint rifles for shooting prairie dogs. I seem to get more shooting with rifles with low muzzle blast. Hope you all can enjoy the sport as long as I have.
Back in the day a neighbor fella and I were kids just old enough to drive. His family had a vegetable farm and it bordered CPR (before CRP was CRP) that had lots of pds in it. We'd drive out there in his old beater car and spend an afternoon with our .22s and a couple thousand rds. shootin 'em. We'd get lots of runners, dogs that were hit but failed to expire outside. Our range was limited to 50-75 yds. and we rarely used anything more than our knees for support, sitting in the dirt.

Skip ahead 38 years and here we are today with rifles that will make clean head shots at well beyond 300 yds. Bullets that don't drop the length of a prairie dogs body over 350 yd. and binoculars (something we never dreamed of back in the day) We use tables we can throw down in a few seconds with chairs, umbrellas, coolers full of water, easy up canopies and cameras....kinda looks like a NASCAR event on the prairie.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator