Night time Yotes

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

Re: Night time Yotes

Post by sniper model 12 »

hawkeye

how much does that light weight?
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I would guess about 1lb or less. Maybe 2 with the cord and switch. It's a lot lighter than I thought it was going to be.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

sniper model 12

I'd love to get one now! :mad: Deer bow season is running in Ohio right now. . . I love gut piles ! ! ! :wink:

But. . . I guess there is always Christmas. :lol: I wonder what that light will do on snow. . .I should rephrase; I wonder how the light beam will act when flashed on snow??? :chin:
Ralph Waldo Emerson
ulen mn
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by ulen mn »

I dont have a alluminated scope dose that light give off enough lite to see through the scope well?? I am using a cabelas tactical scope at the moment, till I can aford a leupold .
Rick AKA Ulen MN
NRA Life Member
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

The crosshairs can easily be seen with the red lens on. Although slight illumination will help, It's not necessary.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

sniper model 12

Leupold has some nice illuminated scopes. good magnification and illumination for $800 some odd. As soon as I get my last kidney sold and my two smallest toes. . . then I'll buy one for myself.

But. . . ya can't beat the quality. Good shooting for low light.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

Joe,

Sorry for not seeing this earlier...
Nice gun by the way...grin....

Night hunting is what I do. I've tried it all, scope lights, illuminated reticles, red lens, blue lens, white lens, green lens, gun mounted lights, might vision, etc. ad nauseum.

Night hunting involves simplicity (KISS method)...
I have introduced lots of folks the last few years to night hunting and "thinking" what you need out there and imagining it and then getting out there and experiencing it is much different.

Besides your shooting set-up, truck, high rack, etc. here is what I have found to be the best gear while keeping everything simple and organized which increases efficiency=more dead stuff...

2 people is always best. I always carry a shotgun with 4 Buck with a .680 full turkey choke. I always have a rifle sighted dead on for 100 yards. My scope will only have a duplex, wide duplex, or heavy duplex reticle. Anything more or less will make target acquisition harder cause sometimes lining up and squeezing is the difference between a shot and no shot. Illuminated reticles create 2 "glowing things", the critters eyes and the reticle. I only want and need 1 "glowing thing".

I will use a light between 200,000 and 500,000 candlepower. Anything more and you do risk some critters getting call shy. Lens color means nothing. Direct light means everything. Keep the critter in the "halo" until you are lined up on him and then "burn him" (put full light on him for shooter). Gun/scope mounted lights are a pain. It gets old constantly swining your gun around to view and it is not safe. Bring a buddy and take turns shooting/shining...

Night vision you'll miss lots of animals coming in and leaving before you know it. Keep your spotlight on at all times as you picking their eyes up quickly is key. Once you pick their eyes up keep them in the halo as you taking the light on/off them allows them to see where the light is coming from. Keep them in the halo and you "blind" them form what's going on...

This is the general jest of it as it is one of my favorite things to do down here in Texas.

If you have any more?'s feel free to ask...

Take care...
http://www.Predatoroutfitters.com

Fully guided predator hunting by guys who live and breathe it.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Thanks for the tips Gmoney.... Most of my coyote hunting I do when sleeping. I just wait till the howls wake me up and :zap: Just last night at 3:24am my sleep was disturbed by barking just outside my bedroom window. By just outside I mean 10 feet!! I got up to look out my dinning room window. It was a little 20-25 pound pup barking at my window. With a clear night and a nearly full moon, I could see front half . The rear half was blocked by a tree trunk. lt was sitting down looking up at my window barking. I had a flashlight handy (no gun) so I lit him up. He was gone in a flash. Not sure if it was a fox, yote,or dog :shrug: . Never heard a yote bark like that. :? Maybe a fox :duh: :huh: It's been Very quiet for a good week. Then this :shock: I think it's a ambush :lol: :squee:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Gee Mike if they keep taunting you like that a few claymores properly placed in the back yard might help. :twisted:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Be carefull I think you are making pets out of them. It will break your heart to kill one.