Upland bird hunting yesterday

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Sask Boy

Upland bird hunting yesterday

Post by Sask Boy »

Hi Guys, my buddy and I went hunting yesterday near a town called Riverhurst here in Saskatchewan it is about 2 hours west of where I live.
Before 10:00am I shot 3 young coyotes with in about a 10 mile area, of course I forgot my camera. We did not see many sharp tail or huns but we likely saw 10 coyotes there was a 40 to 50 km wind most of the day so any distance shooting was just scaring them away.
We know the area holds lots of birds but it was just to hot as the temp was 26c.
The 204 in the Savage is deadly but I am a little concerned with one shot kills as only 1 of the 4 coyotes I have shot were 1 shot kills. The shots have been between 35 yards and 300 yards.
I am shooting 39BKs with 26.5 grs. of H4895 , think I am just going to have to practise a little more.
This winter we are going start calling them as it seems there is just to many of these varmits.
Keep the Son in your eyes.
Bless You
Dan
jo191145

Re: Upland bird hunting yesterday

Post by jo191145 »

Sask boy

Not a yote hunter myself but I did stay in a Best Western Hotel last night. (Wondering if that humor will resonate in Sask ;) )

For yotes just about any bullet would perform better than the 39bk. 32bk and 34 dogtowns not included.
Also a little more horsepower should help.
Get some Bergs Nosler or V-max crank em up high and those dogs should stop drop and roll.
Have a great winter ;)

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Re: Upland bird hunting yesterday

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Bullet placement is still important I use both the 32gr Vmax and the 40gr they both work great but I try hard to get head or heart shots. I had lost few with my 243 when I hit them in the gut with 70gr bullets and the 223 with 55gr bullet. I can say that I haven't lost one with the 204 but I have gotten better at placing my shots.