Basil Patrol – protecting the traditional Sunday Roast

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Drew Jaeger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF II

Basil Patrol – protecting the traditional Sunday Roast

Post by Drew Jaeger »

It was Saturday afternoon, I was home alone, hunting credits had been accrued (aka domestic duties) and there was a bit of cloud cover – perfect opportunity to go out spotlighting with the 204. The primary target - lamb killers. The Brno 22LR and 40gr Subsonic HPs were also packed for some bunny work around near the property hayshed.

Upon arrival early evening and to my disappointment, the cloud cover had dispersed revealing a bright waxing gibbous (aka ¾ moon).

On foot around the hayshed and silos, with the portable spotlight, the 22LR head shot seven bunnies at distances varying from ~10m to ~50m. That distinct "THHHHUUMP!" of the SSHP connecting gave a reassurance of a positive hit. Not that many bunnies were seen.

It was a relatively quiet night, compared to previous visits. There was the odd bunny bouncing around (one succumbed to the 204 at ~90yds), a couple of Wood ducks by the dams and the odd quail flight.

Then I got a glimpse of Basil's eyes on the tree line in an adjoining paddock. He was a long way off as I could just make out his body on 14x in the light,... and he was on the prowl moving in on a flock of ewes with young lambs nearby. The cross-hairs were place at the level of his ears and above his nose as the shot was fired, dropping him instantly. Feeling quite satisfied, I ranged the tree he was immediately in front of at 346yds. Strewth! Upon closer inspection, he was hit mid span of the body and was 8 only paces from the tree,... 338yds!!! The 39gr BlitzKing did not exit.

Approximately half an hour later I saw another pair eyes in the distance within a rocky granite outcrop. Looking through the scope on 14x it was a fox sitting on a granite boulder. I ranged the boulder at 322yds and then placed the cross-hairs a whisker above the eyes and touched off the shot. The lights went out and I could see the fox's body slowly melt off the boulder. Unfortunately I lost Basil's position as I had to drive through two paddocks, around an erosion gully, to get to the area of the granite outcrop. Do you think I could find him in the rocks?

I did briefly see another fox near another flock of sheep, but when the light hit him he bolted like there was no tomorrow! At that point I called it a night.

The performance of the 204 still amazes me!

The first of seven with the 22LR

Lurking in the depths

204ed bunny

Basil taken at ~338yds

39gr BlitzKing did not exit
Cheers

Drew

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
WHISTLEPIG

Re: Basil Patrol – protecting the traditional Sunday Roast

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Drew Jaeger, You and madracer have had a great week. Thanks again for the reports and pictures.
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Nice shooting Drew and great pictures keep up the good work.
.204 Sniper

Post by .204 Sniper »

What kinda snake was that in the water?
When your attack is going well you are about to be ambushed.
madracer

Post by madracer »

id say that its an eel (as in a fish)
Drew Jaeger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF II

Post by Drew Jaeger »

.204 Sniper wrote:What kinda snake was that in the water?
That's an eel mate. He was approximately 3' long.
Cheers

Drew

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
.204 Sniper

Post by .204 Sniper »

Cool!
Upon closer inspection I noticed the fins behind the head.........................it's head kinda has that Python shape to it.
When your attack is going well you are about to be ambushed.