pesky bandits. . . say hello to my lit'le friend

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
creekwalkr
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 single shot synthetic stock

pesky bandits. . . say hello to my lit'le friend

Post by creekwalkr »

My dad had some coons at his farm getting in the feed and killing chickens. So, Mr. Savage and Mr. Hornady paid the Coon family a visit.

80 yds, Hornady 40 gr V-max then a 34 gr JHP, Savage mod 12 single shot .204

The first shot (40 gr) rolled the coon who then decided to run. Bad choice. :twisted: The 40 grainer got everything inside really juicy, but the 34 grainer rolled the coon again and opened the window :flame:

(shot taken 9:30pm......Pic taken morning after)

enjoy!!

"All I need is ONE GOOD SHOT . . ."
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

Was the 40 grain shot a bad placement?

Coons are tough no doubt...
.204 Sniper

Post by .204 Sniper »

Wow! Nice hole.
I thought there would be a bit more of an 'explosion' going on...................never shot a coon. Looks like they hold together pretty well.

Good Job!
When your attack is going well you are about to be ambushed.
creekwalkr

Post by creekwalkr »

the coon had her back to me when I shot. the 40 gr went beside the spine and the 34 gr hit and inch or so from the 40. The fragments from both rounds passed through the same tissue/goop.

I had expected the 40 to go through and stop the coon. . . . I assume that the damage inside would have finished her. . . in a short period of time. I'm impatient.

Later on, we had a bore coon come in to us (no pics). That coon took nearly an hour to finish and required 4 different calibers/gauges/guns to do the job (.204, .22 lr, 20ga #8 shot, .45acp) :eek: :mad: Some shots were used to get the coon off a barn rafter (20 ga) where we didn't have a good rifle shot.

I don't care who ya are, coons are some of the toughest critters!!
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

I've killed many a coon with a 22. Ya gota getem high in the middle of the neck and they drop like a rock.
creekwalkr

Post by creekwalkr »

I ain't gonna promise that every round hit the coon, but I do know the bore coon took one .204 to the back, a .45 acp to the body, and at least one 20 ga to the body. I'm sure he was hit with more.......

I've always used a 12 ga for coon with #6 shot or larger. I've gone with fellers who used a 22 only.

There for a while the coon population was in southern Ohio seemed to be living on the highways! You couldn't go 100 yds without seeing a couple dead bodies on the roadway. We were also going through a hard drouth. Now that we're gettin rain. . . . few coons! Go figure.

peanut butter and dog food