H & R ultra hunter rifle

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
jason

H & R ultra hunter rifle

Post by jason »

wondering if anyone has a H & R ultra hunter rifle. how does it shoot? the rifle looks good and a great price, just to have a extra skippy play-toy on hand is always a good thing
As long as the primers Ignite!!!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jason: Don't know about that model of H&R, but check out the ongoing post over on GGVG about those things springing open upon firing. One guys posted that his sprang open more often than not, then other guys have chimed in saying the same thing. They'd make an okay truck gun, but I'd look elsewhere for a primary varmint rifle, such as a good bolt gun, or if you like single shots like I do, look at the Browning Low and High Wall, or the Ruger No.1. These of course are in a much higher price bracket than the old Topper, but remember "you get what you pay for".

These are cheaply made at best, for years were sold under the name "Topper". H&R uses the same action for these rifles and their single shot break-open shotguns. They make an okay kids entry level rifle. I still see them in Wally World and other discount stores....that should tell you something right there.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

crazy2medic
.204 Ruger Guns: custom .204 left hand bolt.

Post by crazy2medic »

I have a NEF handi rifle in .204, nothing wrong with it! accuracy is great, only draw back is the second shot! but overall it's a solid rifle, I know h&r and nef share the same design but not sure if they are the same gun! i've loaded the NEF fairly hot and it's never sprung open on me!
Coyote, Cat, Crow, 204 fodder!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

medic: Glad to hear your gun seems sound. They ARE the same rifle by the way.

As you own one, go over to GGVG and check out the thread as mentioned. Never hurts to be informed about potential hazards. As it's a break-open action, be careful with fiesty handloads.

Here's a link to the discussion:

http://www.varminthunters.com/forum/sho ... php?t=6755
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

thanks for the heads up, just sent off a mini mauser left hand action and a pac nor barrel in .204 having a custom rifle made, but i'll hold on to my NEF for now! my boys next rifle will be a howa 1500 in .204
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

medic: That 204 Mini-Mauser sounds like it will be a real little sweetie. Keep us up to speed on the project, sounds very interesting. Those are very fine, well proportioned little actions, alot like the old Sako L461's.

Thanks for not taking offense to the NEF business.....I was just responding to what seemed like a safety issue over on the other board from NEF owners/users. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

jason

Post by jason »

thanks for the info rick, as always, your info in 100% . i'll look into it and let you know, i was just looking at getting a truck gun that i could pick up for cheap and shoot MAX loads from and save the heavy barrel 204 for the serious skippy misting!!
jason

Post by jason »

crazy2medic, what loads are you shooting in your H&R, what short of groups can I expect to get from the rifle if I pick one up for a backup rifle to shoot max loads from and not worry to much about barrel life??
crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I was using 32gr v-maxs with 28.2 grs of benchmark, or 29.0 h335 but these were started low and worked up too! DON'T START THERE! BAD IDEA!
brass was remington and primers remington 7 1/2
groups at 100yds less then .5" I can consistantly pick an egg off of a coke can at 200yds!
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Crazy2 - you had a good one. Mine was...well....let's just say I don't own it anymore....and THAT is a good thing.
aulrich

Post by aulrich »

graybeardoutdoors.com has the most difinitive handi forum going. I have 2 a 204 and a 22 k-hornet conversion. My best group (.39 for 3 @ 100) have come with 39 bk's and h4895 but typical groups are more like .5 - .75. Triggers are crisp but a little heavy, one of these days I'll do the trigger.

My 204 took very little effort to get to shoot well even with the afore mentioned auto open (it took about 5 min to fix the lock up needed a little tweak) for the price of a gun expect some tweaking to get best performance.