Berger, meet Badger

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Berger, meet Badger

Post by Verminator2 »

We have had a badger tearing up our property BAD :mad: so I got my cousin to come over and go spotlighting. I got my .204, the four wheeler, the spotlight, and took off. We didn't see him in the first field so we went over to the next one. As we were getting to the fence to turn around, my cousin spotted some eyes. I took a peek through the scope to confirm this. Yep, it was. I got set up and place the crosshairs below his chin and squeezed. DRT, about 75 yards. The 35 gr. berger went in the throat and no exit :D I'll get some pics up soon.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Well we are waiting for the picture, don't make us have to go get your camera!!! :morons: I love the 204 for varmints.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Verm2: Note to Self: Always have digital camera in hunting pack/box/truck! ;) You just never know.........
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Yeah...nekid creatures of ALL types can occur at any time!

:D
Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

Sorry guys, here she is.
I couldn't get a clear picture with this camera :mad:
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

Wait a minute now, that badger is still in one peice!

Ok, at least it's dead.

:D
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

David, badgers don't come apart easily, they make bears back off and think twice. They are tough mothers! I think you'd need two D8 Caterpillars to pull one apart.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

I'm just teasing em. :) I think i read long time ago badgers have the skin like a bull, or something like that.
Ifishsum
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Post by Ifishsum »

My kid shot one once from about 10 feet, right through the open mouth with a CCI Stinger .22LR and the bullet did not exit. Broke the skull up pretty good though. They are tough buggers, and mean too. My buddy in Eastern OR has been charged by two different badgers in the last two weeks, hit both with a .17 HMR (all he had at the time) and they both ran off.
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Badger can soak up a HMR??? There's not a surprise. No seriously though I wouldnt expect one to go down with any less than a .204/.223 class caliber. Hey Verminator, what kind of mag is that and where'd you get it? I think that may be just the ticket to make my HDR truely purdy.
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
Robert harrel
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 m ll,cooper mod21, rem 700,savage12 fvb,savage lrpv

Post by Robert harrel »

rugerdogdog wrote Badger can soak up a HMR??? .i had one soak up a el camino one time.i thougt he was dead so i throwed him in the back to skin when i got home (my dog was also in the back) when i did get home no dog! no badger! never did find either one of them
If not for my forgetful nature remembering things would be no problem at all.
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

Ifishsum wrote:My kid shot one once from about 10 feet, right through the open mouth with a CCI Stinger .22LR and the bullet did not exit. Broke the skull up pretty good though. They are tough buggers, and mean too. My buddy in Eastern OR has been charged by two different badgers in the last two weeks, hit both with a .17 HMR (all he had at the time) and they both ran off.
Things running off with a Hummer?

Sounds pretty typical from my experiences with the round... :wink:
Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

I have shot 2 of them with the 17 and both have ran off. I am pretty sure they are dead though, cause the diggin' stopped.
skin like a bull
Got that right!!! I thought it would be a grand idea to try to skin it and put it on a backing by following the instructions (:oops:) in the last VHA magazine. It took me forever to cut through the hide.
Rugerdogdog: the mag is a 15 round colt that I got from our local FFL guy. I wouldn't recommend it though, the rounds have been popping out of it when almost completely loaded and when it is not, sometimes I have had 6 of em pop out into the chamber at once :mad: Also, some of the cases have recieved dents from popping out of the magazine. I have tried turning the lips down and that didn't work.
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Wow I guess I'll take a clean miss on those mags! I just really like the stainless/chrome look. I've never seen one that wasn't black or grey powder colored.
6 rounds in the chamber at once sounds like a BAD thing, hahahahaha.
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

Actually, it is grey. It's just that the camera couldn't take a clear photo. I am going to try D&H mags I think. I have been hearing good reports on them. Hey, are you going to do the postal shoot with yours?