two foxes for the .204

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
craigyboy

two foxes for the .204

Post by craigyboy »

had planned to go out lamping with a good friend last night as I had been on this ground with the air rifle 2 weeks previous and seen a few foxes around. It rained off and on all day at work so wasnt sure if we would get out, but I checked the metcheck and it said no rain in my area the rest of the night so I took the chance and packed up my gear and headed out. We put the torch on the first field before we even got out of the farm yard and got a pair of eyes straight away, settled in and took the shot at about 120 yards. It was a young vixen, hit her right centre of the lower neck, we scanned the rest of the fields from where we sat and there was another 2 foxes the furthest away was about 240 yards and this was a fox that has been giving us the slip for ages (years), the closer one was about 160 yards but looking out from a bit of a bramble pile, I could clearly confirm it was a fox but against my better judgment I took the shot even though his body was very well covered and missed the bugger, like the rest of us I hate missing, ill probably not forget that one for a few months.

I shot this vixen using 39g blitzings, I was surprised to find an exit wound, though only slight, it was quite alot of tissue for a ballistic tip to penetrate.

This next one we spotted in a recently cut silage field, he was about 200 yards away but the shot wasnt all that safe so we tried to call him in to a better position but he ended up going the opposite direction we wanted and sat looking at us on top of a little rock so we had to take the chance and try and change position to get a good safe shot, we managed to move into about 150 yards and everything was right he stood up broadside, I thought just before I pulled the trigger that he looked big, on closer inspection after the shot he was a big dog fox maybe 5 years old, his teeth were very worn and he was a bit of a monster probably the bigest I have ever shot, happy with this boy as I would say he was the one hammering the farmers bantam collection over the years.

This one was also shot with 39g blitzking and agin showed an exit hole, I havent experienced this with the 32g v-max on foxes it usually penetrates and does all the damge inside and doesnt exit and to be honest even though I dont take a shot until I am sure its perfect safe I like to know the bullets dont travel any further than what i hit, I may have to go back to 32g vmaxes there just as accurate as the 39g but I thought the heavier bullet was better for foxing but now I aint so sure as they both still kill equally well, the 32g just doesnt exit but also seems to do alot more damage on the inside, when you lift a fox after its hit with a 32g v-max it just sounds like its full of water. The 39g blitzking does do this abit but nowhere near to the extent of the 32g vmax.

Also saw these two lads on the way down.

Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

WOW! :eek: That's a big fox! Well done. Good pics BTW.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Great report!

Post by Vartarg »

That's a great report, and terrific photos. Have you considered 35gr Bergers? I'm not sure they're available to you, but if so, you might want to give a go....
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

That is a MONSTER fox....
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Have you tried the 40 VMax yet?

Seating depth is the same as 32 VM's.

I prefer the 40's...even on prairie dogs.
craigyboy

Post by craigyboy »

thanks guys, I have some 35g and 40 bergers I have been meaning to load for ages, maybe if the wind and rain stops ill try some out this weekend.
adam

Post by adam »

craigyboy u sure are sorting those foxes!!! fair play. Where abouts in northern Ireland are you ?
craigyboy

Post by craigyboy »

I am outside newcastle adam, just tryed out some 35g bergers tonite got a nice 0.450 5 shot group with 25.5g of r10x.
adam

Post by adam »

Iv just looked on the map I could throw a stone and hit there from anglesy !!!! I wish the wind would stop blowing down here so i could try for some groups :(
craigyboy

Post by craigyboy »

just dont hit my house with that stone! :lol: , I know what you mean about the wind, I live clsoe to the mountains and its pretty rough, I was just lucky last nite that it clamed down, what .204 are you shooting adam? Are you shooting factory stuff or reloading?
adam

Post by adam »

Im shooting a ruger m77 mk11 in laminate with the stainless heavy barrell. Cut to 24" moderated with t8 , pillar beded, Lapped bolt and re worked trigger. I love her and she will never leave my cabinet and un like the misses does as i ask and dont answer back !!!!! :lol: :lol:
I managed to get out tuesday night because the wind round here seems to get really calm and quiet at about 8 o'clock. It wasnt raining so it was perfect to try and get my zero back after the trouble I had over the last couple of weeks.
On the money now and ready for some crow hammering on the fresh cut fields as soon as sun comes out for a couple of days !!! :D :D
adam

Post by adam »

Sorry I forgot to add that i'm still shooting Factory 40 grain rem accutips. MY friend is due his new rifle end of august and we are planning on spliting the costs for the reloading equipment. Need to find someone though who can show us the basics and then we will be well on the accuracy wagon !!!!!
.204 Sniper

Post by .204 Sniper »

It's FOXZILLA! :muffy:

Good job and nice shooting!
When your attack is going well you are about to be ambushed.