Distress call question?

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
rscotth

Distress call question?

Post by rscotth »

I am still looking for my first kill in the varmint world. It's been hard as I end up going alone while working different jobs all over the US. I recently got a landowners permission as the lambs seem to be the food of choice here. After several attempts and no luck I am starting to question my calling ability. The only things that seem to come in are owls that will usually perch about 30 yards away. I figured this was a good sign but with all the tracks and furry poop everywhere I think something is wrong. Any ideas?
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

If lambs are the food of choice, ya gotta sound like a lamb...... And owls won't be a bother. Sounds like you have to change sounds or tactics. Don
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

There are so many variables in calling that to determine "what is wrong" we need way more info..

Give us some more info so that we can give you some hints...(calling volume, technique, set-up, camo, time of day, duration, types of call, etc.)

If lambs are around you don't have to sound like a lamb to draw in predators...

-Greg
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Use a tape of a coyote group howling at night to locate them they will come in on this also. If you can use a coyote howler hand call. I find when they are well feed that they will come to check a stranger out or howl at another group of coyote's. If you can hunt at night there is some advantage. Use a red lenses it will light up there eyes it doesn't have to be bright dim is better once you find there eyes you have a target.
herb

calls

Post by herb »

First of all coyest are extremely smart, and if you calling isn’t any good they won’t come anywhere near you, and they will remember!!!. Get yourself an electronic call with the memory card, and use it to learn to call and use it to call the yotes. You can find calls and download them yourself. I swear by them, and have had great success. With the remote it is nice because you can place the speaker-caller away from you and watch them come in to it. Plus you don’t have to quit calling and grab your gun which is about the time they catch on to you and high tail it away. In addition they have outputs so that so can plug in an attractant which you can turn on and off from the remote. This really drive the coyotes crazy and gets them to come running. All the mags have them advertised.
When the going gets tough, I go shooting.
rscotth

Post by rscotth »

Thanks for the replies! I must say you all must be good luck. Still feeling a bit wooped I thought I would try making a set this morning. I switched up calls to the first call I ever bought the ole KI-YI from Randy Anderson. A real deep pitch like a fawn bleat and low and behold I had started a race and they were literally running in across a wide open field. About 200 yards out one slowed up a bit and was looking suspicious so I decided to tune him where he stood. Oh yea- he was traveling from right to left and the shot resulted in a pass through- Remington Premier Accutip 40 grain. Thanks again!
RSH
Last edited by rscotth on Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Just sound like food. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
crazy2medic
.204 Ruger Guns: custom .204 left hand bolt.

Post by crazy2medic »

I was told by a guy that certainly has more experience than me shooting coyotes, set up a scenario, something like a fawn bleat and use a stick or your hand to shake a barbed wire fence, this makes it seem to the coyote that a fawn is tangled in a fence!, I'm sure if you could get the sheep rancher to seperate a lamb from it's mother it would probably call out, or even if possible pick it up by it's hind legs enough to "distress" it and record the sound!
Coyote, Cat, Crow, 204 fodder!
rscotth

Post by rscotth »

I like the way you think. That would certainly be the most authentic distress call.
On that same way of thinking has anyone ever seen the woodpecker decoy hat haphazardly flaps and looks injured? It is called the "whirling woodpecker" by outfoxed products? http://www.outfoxedproducts.com/
When you get in the site there is a section called "the hunt". There are some pics and involves a mountain lion coming into the injured woodpecker. The lion was checking out the WP and a fox came in and the lion jumped it and there a couple photos it the lion carrying off the fox- how cool. Worth a look!
RSH
Varmonter

Post by Varmonter »

cool photos
DDCalls

Post by DDCalls »

Be VERY VERY VERY careful with your movement. If you move at all they will see you! I make custom calls for a living and guide hunters every year and NEVER use an electronic call. Not saying they aren't effective, just don't like them. Start your calling scenario with a low volume 60 second string of distress sounds. Stop for 2-5 minutes and scan the area for movement. Start you next round of calling with a medium volume and add some inflection in the calling. Make it sound like you are having your guts pulled out. Do this for 60-90 seconds and wait for about 5 minutes. You last series of calls should be as loud as you can handle and be just gut wrenching nasty in sound. Wait another 5 minutes and see what happens. If you get a coyote in that won't commit then use a squeaker or lip squeaks to coax them in.

This time of year I like to use pup in distress howls as a last resort. Momma is still very protective right now and you might bring her running.

David
rscotth

Post by rscotth »

Hey David- I didn't know you guided too. The next time I get that way I would like to set something up. Hopefully this fall I will get to use the calls I picked up from you. They sound real good but the diamond wood looks just awesome.
DDCalls

Post by DDCalls »

Oh heck yeah. Let me know as far in advance as possible so I don't book that time. Glad you like the calls. Now we gotta kill something with it and post up some pics of the aftermath. :twisted:

David