Can anyone tell me about the Howa rifles?

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

TD-Max wrote:I have a Howa 1500 Varmint supreme here in 22-250. I find the trigger to be very crunchy and creepy. My 10/22 with the VQ target hammer is as good or better than the Howa.

Timney makes a trigger for it and I have one here to install soon. The reviews of the trigger are good and lots of comments about "how in the world could Weatherby use such a POS?" on the Midway site.
I just had the Howa in for a bedding job and a trigger. The factory trigger was off the scale which I believe was 5+. With the timney he set it to 40 oz. Nice and smooth and crisp. Not as good as my Sako, but better than the one that it came with. The 'smith had a few positive comments about the machining of the action. He also commented about the gaping holes where the floor plate to action screws pass through. He ended up bedding the floor plate also to keep all tight. IIRC there was a lot of slop in the recoil lug area as well.

I have been out with it once and have a couple generalized loads that I need to explore, but the noon day sun took out my chrono, and the winds picked up enough to move the target a good inch :eek: so I had to call it a day. It does seem to shoot much better.