Ah...sanity....204 style. w/pics

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Ah...sanity....204 style. w/pics

Post by acloco »

Just a teaser until later this afternoon....but yesterday was THE PERFECT DAY for opening heavenly gates for some Nebraska Prairie Dogs!

Weather was absolutely perfect. Slight wind, low/mid 80's, and a few prairie dogs were out. Both of the pastures that we hunted on this trip were poisened at the end of summer last year, but, still some prairie dogs were available. We are beginning a journey to find more land to hunt on.

1st kill of the day.

View from the spot of the first kill zone to the water well that we were stationed at. Almost 300 yards. 204 with 40 grain VMax/27.3 H4895/CCI450/New RP brass.

A little head hunting.

My pdog partner, putting the sneak on some wary dogs.

Hunkered down into the scope, just beginning to squeeze the trigger.

Results from a Rem 700 with 50 or 55 grain SP's - about 200 yards.

Entrance for the 223.

Using available topography to your advantage. Note - check for fresh pdog droppings if wearing a white shirt.

Judging by the obvious activity at most of the holes, I do not believe all of the pdogs ate the poison.

Heartburn?

Money shot. My 12FV on top. His Rem 700 dressed in wood.

Should have let this one grow up a bit more.

She was nursing eight??!!??

Believe this one would receive a "Master Angler" award. Size 11 boot.

Standing in the middle of the field - 400 + yards facing south.

Facing north - 350 + yards.

Between the third and fourth poles, about 20 feet to the right, there is an individual yellow flower. By this flower, lives a prairie dog that has deep red/brown above his eyes and an almost white underbelly. I thought it was a hawk because of the size and the coloring. I did not shoot. I WILL NOT make that mistake again.
Last edited by acloco on Sat May 12, 2007 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Bless you, acloco.
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

acloco, That is some beautiful looking country. Thanks for the write up and pictures.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

acloco: Glad you finally got out for some fun. Nice green country there. Those guys are sure larger than Skippy here. Did you see the photo I posted of the PD skull with Skippy's skull? Wow...big difference.

It's been three years since I've shot PD's....you're getting me all worked up again! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Thanks for rubbing it in, acloco, you know I couldn't go pdoggin' this year, because of the nephew's wedding :mad: :mad: . Since you invited me to go along if I could get away, I'll let it go.
Anyways, with all that greenery, did you get any of the rain that swamped out Topeka KS and points east? I know you all needed rain really bad. I hope you get the drought broken!
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Rick - I do not think that I saw that pic. On the next trip, I will collect a specimen and let nature take it's course. I will send it for your collection.

Glenn - offer still stands. We got some of the rain, but not enough yet.

Of note, in the picture facing south, if you set up on the hillsize on the far right (just above the washout line), shots can be taken up to 900+ yards.

My longest kill was from this grassy knoll - 550+ yards with a 40 grain VMax in my 223.

Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Sounds like a great time. Glad that you had some good targets running around. Nice pictures, thanks for sharing as we do not have prairie dogs in my state.
gwglave
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Howa 1500 SSHB

Post by gwglave »

acloco
Thanks for sharing the story and photos. Great job with the camera. If I could only remember to take mine with me :oops: .
Hopefully I will remember and will be able to share some rock chuck photos. Shooting sage rats is mighty trying for my old eyes. Rock chucks are a much larger target although they are much more wary and more difficult to get a decent shot at. But, that's what makes it really interesting.

Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Not much more i can say acloco, But thank's for sharing the picture's and story.