Illuminated Recticle Scopes

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
creekwalkr
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 single shot synthetic stock

Illuminated Recticle Scopes

Post by creekwalkr »

Does anyone have sugestions regarding illuminated recticle scopes? I've priced a few and I found a Leupold that I really like, but I just can't commit to it until I've heard some history with the illuminate recticles.

Help wanted

thank you
"All I need is ONE GOOD SHOT . . ."
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Good for shooting in low light.
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

I've used USO and Leupold illuminated reticle scopes.

Often in fading light, conditions are such that the animal can still be seen, at least silhouetted, but standard crosshairs fade out and can't be seen.

An illuminated reticle takes care of that. Very important that the reticle can be illuminated only a bit. Too much illumination on the reticle makes it tough to see your target. The Leupold and USO scopes that I used were both very good in that regard, I was able to turn down the illumination, just enough to be able to see the crosshairs and whack the target/critter!

Regards, Guy
Singleshot

Post by Singleshot »

I have a Leupold 4.5-14X scope and a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20X scope, both with illumniated reticles. The Leupold is a far superior product. The Nikon's system seems to employ a small LED light that shines on the crosshair. This creates a major glare around the edges of the scope tube which is annoying. The lowest setting on the Nikon scope is too bright in low light conditions and the bright centre crosshair obscures the target if you are shooting at 150 yards or more. :mad: The reticle on the Leupold scope seems to be internally lit and does not glare nor is there any extraneous light in the tube. On its lowest setting the illuminted crosshair is just slightly lit (red) and stands out very well on a dark coyote sized target 150 yards away or more. I just wish Leupold would make their 6.5-20 power scope with the illuminated reticle. I would buy one in a heartbeat.
LowPro
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS - CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar - Remington R-15

Post by LowPro »

Singleshot wrote:I have a Leupold 4.5-14X scope and a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20X scope, both with illumniated reticles.

The Nikon's system seems to employ a small LED light that shines on the crosshair. This creates a major glare around the edges of the scope tube which is annoying.
I have the same Nikon you're referring to, but the only time I notice the "glare" is when the eye relief isn't adjusted properly.

Mine has both the red, and the green illuminated reticle. I haven't noticed any glare, with the green reticle though.
Varmonter

Post by Varmonter »

I have been looking for a low power lighted reticle scope.
So far burris seems to fit the bill with 1.5-6x40 signature series lrs.
does leupold make one with this low a magnification
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

I believe Leupold makes an illuminated 1.5-5x scope.

Regards, Guy
Varmonter

Post by Varmonter »

Thanks after looking at the optics planet site
I found leupold can custom make anything you want.
If you want to wait 6 weeks. so maybe a 1.75-6x32 vx3 IR is in my future.

so singleshot you can get a 6-20x with an IR
Singleshot

Post by Singleshot »

Varmonter; Have you got a link to that site you were looking at. I checked Leupold's site and they state in their custom section that they can only put illuminated reticles into scopes that are designed for them in the first place. I hope you are right! An illuminted reticle Leupold would go very nicely on my new LEFT HAND Savage VLP 204. It looks like it may be the best shooter I own.
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

I really like my Muellers.
Varmonter

Post by Varmonter »

Singleshot wrote:Varmonter; Have you got a link to that site you were looking at. I checked Leupold's site and they state in their custom section that they can only put illuminated reticles into scopes that are designed for them in the first place. I hope you are right! An illuminted reticle Leupold would go very nicely on my new LEFT HAND Savage VLP 204. It looks like it may be the best shooter I own.

sorry it took so long to get back to you.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/custom-leup ... scope.html

If you scroll down there is a place for reticle change.Click the drop down box and select ill reticle ($149.00)

I found a deal on a burris euro diamond 30 mm tube on ebay.
It has the german 3p illuminated crosshair.
saved about 250 over retail.. The scope works perfect Very bright.
Couldn't pass it up..