Had my first exit with the 35 Berger...(pics)

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Had my first exit with the 35 Berger...(pics)

Post by Gmoney »

Been killing alot of critters recently so I figure I'd share some with you folks.....

This past weekend in cen-Tex there was rain forecasted and the skies did not look good so we went out anyway.....

It was sprinkling when we first set up about an hour before dark..we got there early and has a chance to do a daytime set...Set the brand new Foxpro out and a few minutes in it started raining hard....We kept the caller going and ran under a big oak 50 yards away....

2 minutes later a cat runs out of the brush in the rain and just happened to be looking at me when he ran out....He was to my right and I would have had to swing the .204....My brother saw him and swung the shotty on him as he is a lefty.....During all of this a grey fox run down the same trail as the cat and approaches him...the cat did not like this grey running in front of him at all and crouched up into a "cat fight" look....

Boom goes the shotty....tumble goes the cat but up he gets and takes off into the brush....The fox decided he wanted some .204 as he just stood there so I obliged him......

30 minutes later we gave up after no cat found....I'm in the midst, TODAY of acquiring a shooty that shoots a longer chamber...did I mention TODAY.......

Fist exit with my .204 load by the way....

He was a little runty guy......

So this same night it kept sprinkling but we were already wet so we decided to keep calling....
This place we were on yielded 13 greys and 3 cats 3 weeks ago FYI....

We made 4 more stands as follows....
1) 1 coyote who downwinded us in the thick stuff....
2) 2 greys but would not hold still right out of shotty range...
3) 4+ greys....this was one of the craziest stands I've been on...we had 4+ fox running in circles around us at 60-80 yards and would not hold still and look at us for more than a second....Don't know how many people who get to experience the amount of fox we have and what they can do at night...it is absolutely amazng and hopefully I can get some awesome footage in the future......
4) 3 sets of eyes that once again winded us....

The rain got too hard and we had to give up.....so only 1 in the truck, 1 cat never found and another grey never found.....that said it was insane calling!

We had some technical difficulties as well.....

The next night as we were once again surrounded by lightning and thunder we made a few stands but they were just not responding as all except when we put on a coon in distress and coons came a-running...This was a sight to see...

Our last set as the rain was very close by and the night was lit up by lightning I caught eyes coming hard about 300 yards from us across a field...we had had some charging deer previously but it was not a deer...he was coming so hard we thought he was a fox but when he got broadside at 60 yards we realized it was a dog.....we did all we could to stop him but he just kept going...My brother made an amazing offhand hard quartering away shot at him running hard at 100 yards or so...he shot and the coyote was dead on his feet and literally bounced a few times....hit him right at the base of the skull..DRT...She was very well furred up and was a 25-28 pounder or so....

This was kinda cool as coyotes are somewhat rare around Mason let alone at night.......

Brother..

My mug....

Thanks for reading.....

-Greg
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Greg, it looks like you and your brother had a good hunt even with the rain. good pictures of the grey fox and coyote nice going. The technical difficulties you said you had, was it with the new fox pro ! or was it some thing easl. Right now i'm looking at a new caller, It's going to be a fox pro#3 or a Minaska Bandit, I haven't made up my mind yet as witch one i'm going to get. Any ways thanks for the story and pictures nice going.
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

Lee,

Funny you mention that...
A hunt 2 days after this one my remote on my Foxpro just flat did not work even with new batteries...
Foxpro does have great customer service and even though it had just got back from the shop I sent it in again with the promise it would be fixed....
The specific technical difficulties I was referring to was the broken rack as this will happen when you hit an overhanging limb....

:wink: Greg
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Greg, Thanks for clearing that up for me. I've been reading alot on some other forums. And it looks like Foxpro has had trouble with some of there remotes. But like you said they have very good customer service. And every one easl says the same thing. Well thanks agine Greg.