Another yote falls to the .204 ruger ultralight- story&p

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Another yote falls to the .204 ruger ultralight- story&p

Post by bullfrog »

Well, I decided to make one more quick coyote trip before I put my calls away and got back to work. I headed east into the desert, but before I got to my destination, I had to stop and play good sam to a liberal from portland who got her VW "Eurovan" stuck in the mud on the side of the road. She was up to her axles in mud that I wouldn't have tried taking a 4 wheel drive truck into. :wall: Not sure what she was thinking on that. There went an hour. Oh well, back on the road, pedal to the metal. Finally I got to some pretty "doggy" country, and made a few stands. 1 out of 4 stands produced a dog. I set up in on the side of a bowl, and put the foxpro about 50 yards out on my second stand.
I sat there for about 20 minutes, and didn't see anything. Then, about when I was going to call it quits, I notice movement up by the call. The sage was so thick, I didn't even see the coyote come in. He was walking back and forth, intent on finding the wailing jackrabbit. Finally he popped out into a clear shooting lane. I gently put my finger on the trigger, waiting for him to pause long enough to make an 80 yard shot on his vitals. Then, just before I he stopped, and right before I thought I might shoot, KABOOM. Whoops, I barely even touched the trigger. Oh yeah, I replaced my stock trigger with a timney last week. I completely forgot to adjust my style for the new lighter trigger, and shot a half second before I really meant to. I looked up from the scope, and saw the coyote doing the death dance. By the time I jacked another shell, he was down. This is where the dog was standing. Looks like there was an exit!
And here is the dog 20 yards away as just as he fell. I think he lost a little blood.
A couple stands later, it was about an hour from dark. Nothing would come into the call, but I heard 3 groups around start howlin and yippin. I hoofed it towards one of the groups, but never saw them. All in all, great fun in the sage brush. Here's the "hero shot"
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Whoa! What bullet?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

bullfrog: Nice! You seem to be gettin' the hang of this coyote stuff! That country sure looks familiar too.

Appears that Timney installation went just dandy. Are you going to increase the pull weight a tad for coyotes and gloves? I have my yote rifles set at about 2 lbs, and my rat/bench rifles all under a pound. Nice thing about an adjustable trigger, is that you can set it a bit stiff for coyotes w/gloves, and lighten it up for bipod/bench work on Skippy if you use the same rifle for both fun venues.

Way to go on the dog neighbor! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Nice job!
First picture I've seen of a dead yote patting himself on the back. :lol:
+1 on aclocos question. What bullet?
204 or 408?

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Sorry guys, I meant to include the load data, or lack there of. Shootin hornady factory w/ 40 v-max. Not so fur friendly this time! :?
Rick Timney install went pretty smooth. Had to file down the safety, which made me a little nervous, but it seemed to turn out just fine. The trigger is supposed to be adj. from 1.5-2.0 pounds. I had it somewhere in the middle. I might tighten it up a tad. Mostly it is just that I went on auto-pilot, and forgot to adjust. I even practiced on a few pop cans and jack rabbits to get the hang of it, but just forgot. :oops: Overall I'm very happy with the new trigger. Huge difference. Might not have an excuse when I miss now. Oh wait, still have a crappy scope on that gun. Guess I can use that.
Drew Jaeger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF II

Post by Drew Jaeger »

Good stuff and nice photos. :D
Cheers

Drew

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Nice picture's of the coyote bullfrog, It look's like that 40gr. v-max really open that coyote up some.