Neck Bushing Size

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Bangflop
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ target varmint

Neck Bushing Size

Post by Bangflop »

I just started neck sizing and was wondering what neck tension in thousandths you fellas are using. Redding tech told me bushing s/b .002 smaller than loaded rounds o.d. When the die came they are calling for .001. Does the neck tension have alot to do with accuracy...as long as it is consistent, or should I try another bushing? Thanks!
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Re: Neck Bushing Size

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

i agree with Redding's recommendation. We always recommend .002 under as a starting point. If you really feel like experimenting you can always try a little less or a little more and see how it shoots. By the way we keep a selection of the Redding bushings in stock if you need them.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Yes, neck tension can affect acuracy. I've always heard .002 myself. As time goes on and you have to replace your brass be aware that neck thickness can vary from lot-to-lot.
Treetrimmer
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom built 204 Ruger tight chamber 11 twist kreiger barrel

Post by Treetrimmer »

+ 1 On what Jim White said.
My thoughts are, If you have neck bushing dies, this sizes the outside of the neck.
You need to turn your brass to the same neck thickness to be able to get the real benefit out of your bushing dies.
If you use your bushing die without making the necks the same thickness, then when you seat the bullet in the case you will have neck tension all over the place. Not good for accuracy.
Good luck you will get it figgured out .
Don.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

When using bushing dies, Redding recommends using a bushing .001" smaller than loaded neck O.D., and .002" smaller if you're using the expander button. If you use the expander, leave the assembly loose so it can self-center when being withdrawn from the case neck, and you'll still get excellent TIR on your case necks.

I use bushing dies and the expander (left loose), and my TIR is usually from zero to .0015" measured with a Holland concentricity gauge at the bullet ogive.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails