hand loads vs factory loads for accuracy

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

hand loads vs factory loads for accuracy

Post by Tokimini »

I'm curious as to how many hand loaders notice a difference in accuracy when comparing their loads to factory ammo. Last time I used factory loads in my 204 I couldn't get groups below 3/4". On that same day with my hand loads every group was sub 1/2". Is this common or am I just lucky?
HeadLever
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Model 21

Re: hand loads vs factory loads for accuracy

Post by HeadLever »

Tokimini wrote:I'm curious as to how many hand loaders notice a difference in accuracy when comparing their loads to factory ammo. Last time I used factory loads in my 204 I couldn't get groups below 3/4". On that same day with my hand loads every group was sub 1/2". Is this common or am I just lucky?
I had similar results. Although to be fair, I stuck only with Factory Hornady Ammo and did not realy try other brands. My groups with the 40 grain V-Max were in the inch range (or worse), while my hand loads using Benchmark and 39 grain Sierrra BKs are usually .4 inch or so.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

The factory ammo is getting way better than it was in years past. Hunting accuracy vrs target/bench rest accuracy. However, besides saving some money, reloading will usually allow you to come up with a load or two that your rifle/pistol shoots better with, compared to the factory ammo. And it is just another hobby to add into our life styles. Bill K
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

There were no reloading components when I got my 204. So it was all factory loads for the 1st summer. Mine shot the 32's exceedingly well. The only 32gr handload that equalled it was H335 IIRC. Then the dies & components started to trickle down to us all & the 39gr BK's were soon enough my go to load. They shot even better yet & still do. Haven't shot any factory rds since. But some of the other factory rds just didn't shoot worth a darn from my rifle.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Post by tpcollins »

I'm in the process of finding what bullet/powder combination my Tikka likes the best - seems the higher the powder charge/more velocity, the better it shoots. So far it likes the blistering Hornady 32gr V-Max factory loads the best . . . duh.
Zeus
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Pro hunter and Remington SPS

Post by Zeus »

I've been reloading for quite some time. My main observation has been that almost any hand load is as accurate as any factory fodder. Even loads that I have just thrown together out shoot the factory stuff as long as the bullet weight and rifling twist will work well together. I'm sure it's a consistency thing.

I was given a couple hundred factory 204 rounds when I purchased my rifle. While they shoot just fine they still aren't as good as my loads...The factory stuff has been relegated to fouling duty.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Like Zeus above, I've had the same experience. All four of my 204's shoot in the .3's or even in the .2's with select handloads. The best factory ammo I've found so far is the Remington 40gr Accu-Tip, and it performs right around .75" to 1.12" in each of my rifles. I was given 200 rounds of the stuff by a writer when I first got my Sako 204 in 2006....I use it for an accuracy benchmark and barrel break-in until it's all shot up.

One thing for certain.....if you don't handload, you need to consider getting into it, but only if you want better accuracy and shoot more for less. It's a good feeling to either nail a furry critter with one well aimed shot "way out there", or see a five shot bughole in your target, made with ammunition you crafted yourself. :D

It's a no-brainer to me......select handloads always shoot better than factory fodder.....at least in every rifle I've ever owned. YMMV
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

My average handloads group almost exactly 1/2 the size of the best factory loads.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Handloads have always been more accurate for me. If you use quality components and know how to tailor the brass and seating depth it will always be more accurate than factory ammo. Factory ammo is just too loose in the chamber and most likely is not the ideal seating depth for your gun.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

Fred_C_Dobbs wrote:My average handloads group almost exactly 1/2 the size of the best factory loads.
That's pretty much how mine are.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I have never fired a factory load thru my 204. I was already reloading for my 223 and 270 at the time. I do enjoy the process and It is my opinion that no factory load will equal my reloads for accuracy. I am not really concerned with velocity, as long as I can be as accurate as I believe the rifle is capable with me behind it.
Rick in Oregon wrote:t's a good feeling to either nail a furry critter with one well aimed shot "way out there", or see a five shot bughole in your target, made with ammunition you crafted yourself. :D
I do whole heartedly agree with RIO's statement!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

As I look aback on it, I'm not sure if there was something really strange going on or what, but my .204 bolt gun was doing over 6" @ 100y with factory loads when I got it :mad: . As I worked up my handload, at the end I was down to 5-shots @ 0.5" predictable, and 0.3" if I was shooting well (always bag and bipod) :D .

I've often wondered if I just got it super dirty, and maybe cleaning between test groups is what brought my pet load home :huh: . I know it was doing crazy things at first, but at the end it was shooting fantastic, and wuold hold that .5" group as far as I go without cleaning, which was well over 200 shtots one time.

'Always windered what my grous would look like if I went back to factory loads...
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Glen wrote:There were no reloading components when I got my 204. So it was all factory loads for the 1st summer. Mine shot the 32's exceedingly well. The only 32gr handload that equalled it was H335 IIRC. Then the dies & components started to trickle down to us all & the 39gr BK's were soon enough my go to load. They shot even better yet & still do. Haven't shot any factory rds since. But some of the other factory rds just didn't shoot worth a darn from my rifle.

Ahhh The Good Ol Days Glen.
Remember scouring the internet trying to scrounge ammo for guns built before bullets? :lol:

I was able to get my greedy mitts on 2 cases of 32's and a case of 40's. Not first run stuff like Silverfox netted but second run anyway.
I even recall during my searches finding some small gunshop out west with a website stating 204R ammo is in.
Called them up and asked if they could ship it. Judging by the shocked reply Noone had ever asked them to ship ammo before. But they did. Another five boxes of 32's.

Like you those 32's shot exceedingly well out of my Savage. At 149 yds they consistently shot groups that measured 1/2"- 5/8" Sometimes 3/4". Outside edge to outside edge. Measured with a ruler!!!
To do that with my barrel was a chore tho. 2 foulers and a five shot group. Of which shot #4 was usually the spoiler. The rest were all touching.
The chore was cleaning the copper after those seven rds. Try a 10 shot group and all he!! would break loose.
Did that mandatory procedure all summer (6-700rds) until I broke down and decided I was gonna become a reloader.
Mostly just to find a way to get shot #4 tucked in.

FWIW it was'nt until I tried W-748 that that barrel calmed down and stopped copper fouling out. Then it was just a matter of finding accuracy with it.
That stinkin (first accurate rifle) Savage has cost me a lotta moolah since then. If I had been happy with guns that shot moa I'd be a much richer man now.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

I should have mentioned this: I think its the general rule that a "factory" rifle benfits most (my case), and a custom-ish gun benefits less.