Odd Man Out 204 Ruger Load?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
plainsdrifter
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 597

Odd Man Out 204 Ruger Load?

Post by plainsdrifter »

Just out of curiosity was wondering if anyone was using a load such as I am? 26gr of H322- 35gr.Berger bullet-Hornady brass-Rem71/2 primer.Ive not seen this load posted anywhere else.It shoots 1/2 to 3/4 in. for me and I thought I had chronied it one time at about 3820fps but I may be wrong? Figure there must be some reason this load lacks appeal.Im in the process of switching scopes to a Leupold with the TDS adjustment and have a secondary motive as well if someone has a chrony comparison so I can send velocity calibration in back to Leupold for turret settings at various ranges.I dont feel like setting chrony up in the snow but may be forced to be a big boy and do it anyway.Any other Odd Man Outs?
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Re: Odd Man Out 204 Ruger Load?

Post by Hedge »

3820 fps is right in the park according to Hodgdon's site.

As to appeal, I've seen several posts on other forums where they use H322. Have you checked the favorite loads on this site?
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
plainsdrifter

Post by plainsdrifter »

Actually Ive checked load data on site as well as just about every place else and have not found any data with H322 used specifically in conjuction with the 35gr. Berger. Ive noted it being used with mainly heavier weight offerings as well as some 32grain bullets but beginning to believe accuracy in most rifles is exceeded using other powders ? Still waiting for an Odd Man reply.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Many of us here would qualify as odd, myself incuded. If the load is working for you in your rifle, and if you trust your chronograph why would you want other peoples' data before giving Leupold the green light? Seems like you would only want to use data specific to your rig and load performance. Not being critical, just wondering what I'm not picking up here.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

From data I've seen, H322 is the same as ADI's AR2219, and also Alliant's 10X.
Haven't tried it myself with 35 bergs, but there's data on ADI's site for it.
The range falls a bit below 80-90% load density which is a guideline I'm going by at the moment (could change if I get bored and want to test more).
It seems a good choice of powder for 26gn Varmint Grenades though.

I'm still testing the 35Bergs, thanks to wind and work, but I'm pretty set on AR2206H (H4895)
plainsdrifter

Post by plainsdrifter »

To further explain even though I completely trust my chrony I can no longer produce any recorded fps accounts per rifle getting a scope change .In the past have also chronied a 20tac ,2other 204s, and a 17Rem with assorted loads of which 3820fps could of stuck in head. Even though I would like to believe Hornady's comparable fps estimation , Ive seen other manuals with a 200fps+ discrepency which is not a huge amount none the less will have an effect on POI at farther distances so will probobly rechrony as weather permits .I want to feel confident that I'm providing Leupold with the most accurate load specs. to make their job easier and my turret adjustments better.Don't get me wrong, if by chance I should miss a shot on a coyote, Im still gonna blame it on the scope. :mrgreen: Would like to hear from anyone using my same load data. No one likes being the only one. :(
Last edited by plainsdrifter on Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plainsdrifter

Post by plainsdrifter »

Dan- I agree on similarity of H322 and 10x . When 10X first came out it actually shot better in my rifles with Berger 35grs. Not going into detail but thought I got a bad powder lot way back then so switched to mainly H322. May go back to 10X again as it is a excellent powder along with many others as well that I should be getting out and testing further. Maybe another day. :roll: