Found another use for the VLD chamfer tool - duh!

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Found another use for the VLD chamfer tool - duh!

Post by tpcollins »

Awhile back I posted that I was struggling to load flat base bullets in .204 caliber. Someone pointed out I should use a VLD tool to put a slight chamfer on the neck. I borrowed a VLD tool and it worked fantastic.

Recently I decided to revisit why the 62gr Barnes Grenades shot poorly in my .243 Ruger M77. I set an empty shell on the holder in my press and sat a Grenade bullet onto the mouth - it wouldn't stay on because of the bullet's flat base. I don't remember what happened in the past but it dawned on me I may have had loading issues that contributed to the inaccuracy. So I took the VLD tool and put a light chamfer on the case mouth - and set a Grenade on it and it stood there like a soldier at attention!

So thanks to all who put me onto the VLD tool - one fix solves many problems . . .
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Re: Found another use for the VLD chamfer tool - duh!

Post by Trent »

Yep. I can't remember the last time I used the inside chamfer side of my RCBS tool. I only use it for the outside deburring. I use the VLD chamfer tool on virtually all my brass regardless of bullet type.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

My Lyman VLD chamfer-er is indispensable when bullet seating. Its always within arms reach!
K = ½mv2
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

Seems to me that the VLD tool, because of its shallow angle, would remove a lot of material relative to the short neck that the 204 cartridge has. I've been using my cheap Lee chamfering tool for years and it works great. It has a rather steep angle so it removes just a small amount right at the case mouth. I have never had a bit of trouble seating a bullet. I'm not arguing, just wondering. Guess I thought the VLD tool was for cartridges that shoot VLD bullets, like the 6.5x###? I'm sure I could be way off on that.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

sharptailhunter wrote:Seems to me that the VLD tool, because of its shallow angle, would remove a lot of material relative to the short neck that the 204 cartridge has. I've been using my cheap Lee chamfering tool for years and it works great. It has a rather steep angle so it removes just a small amount right at the case mouth. I have never had a bit of trouble seating a bullet. I'm not arguing, just wondering. Guess I thought the VLD tool was for cartridges that shoot VLD bullets, like the 6.5x###? I'm sure I could be way off on that.
I have heard that you can get carried away with the VLD tool and cut to much. But I use the RCBS(Wilson) style and a person could do likewise with it, maybe not as fast, but you can remove too much with either, if you make more than a slight one or two twists of the tool. Just work slow and easy. Bill K :D
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

sharptailhunter wrote:. . . I've been using my cheap Lee chamfering tool for years and it works great. It has a rather steep angle so it removes just a small amount right at the case mouth. I have never had a bit of trouble seating a bullet. . .
That's what I was using. Often the flat based bullets would keep toppling off before I could get them into the seater. And often, not always but perhaps 50%, the case would shave tiny pieces from the bullet jacket.
VLD chamferer solved both these issues.