Load Development Method

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
mec1
.204 Ruger Guns: AR15

Load Development Method

Post by mec1 »

Hey Guys,

I'm just curious what everyone does when they develop thier loads. I'd like to compare my methods and maybe find something new to try.

1. What powder range do you typically use for the first attempt with a powder/bullet combo? I typically load a set at the min load, the max load, and three other loads spaced evenly between them. For the .204 this is around 0.4-0.6 grains with my powders.

2. Do you guys use any method of prediciting the most accurate load such as % of case filled or something? I tend to just start blind like I said above.

3. Do you find an accurate powder charge first and then test seating depth? Mine is an AR so my seating depth is pretty limited anyway but I'm curious what you bolt shooters do.

4. What other things do you guys do when developing a load? I've got three rifles I want to work up this spring, so I'm very interested to hear what everyone else is doing.

Mike
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Re: Load Development Method

Post by sharptailhunter »

I use pretty much the same methods as you. I stick to published data and don't give much heed to what recipes others have used. That being said, you can look at trends. For example, it appears that many like the Sierra BKs and RL 10x.

With my new barrel, I have been contemplating using an Audette ladder to find a load. My buddy just did that with his new .223 and had good success.

As with all reloading, there are a lot of variables and a lot of components, but there's a lot of fun to be had. Remember to keep it fun and try not to go crazy chasing the holy grail of loads :)
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

I use the OCW method. Then tweak the seating depth to tighten the group.

For the .204, I'd go with .2 gr increments. It's a small case and .2gr will make a difference.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
mec1

Post by mec1 »

Thanks guys.

The OCW method sounds interesting. I was considering trying a ladder for one of the rifles, but I might try this instead.

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace. ... 4529817134
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

I've started giving the OCW a go. But I've also only started giving reloading a go (about a year now), so take from this what you want and wait for some more advise from the old hands.
Started by finding the base to ogive length with the desired bullet touching the lands (Hornady OAL guage).
Worked out where to start with seating depth so I have room to move both ways.
Seated a bullet in a case with no primer.
Found case capacity (remember applies only to that bullet and seating depth).
Picked 2/3/4 powders whose max and min load data falls roughly within 80-90% capacity.
Cross compare load data between manufacturers though coz there's a lot of powder out there that's the same, but labelled differently.
No need to waste time and money testing the same one several times.
Loaded powders, 1 of each charge, in .2/.3 gn increments from min to max, and a couple over max.
Start at min load and ALWAYS check each round for pressure BEFORE firing the next higher load.
DON'T go through to max assuming it'll be safe. ALWAYS check.

Fire all rounds from the same powder at the same target.
Next powder on a separate target.
This should give you a rough idea which powder works better - velocity climbs smoothly in respect to charge increase, tighter group over the whole range of charges.
It will also tell you when it's time to back off with the charge weight, without loading too many rounds.

Go on with OCW, then seating depth.

Remember, this is just my opinion. But that is what you asked for so I hope you can take something from it.

Let's hope we can get a few more methods up here.

Stay safe, relax, and have fun
mec1

Post by mec1 »

I'm really intrigued by that method. Almost like ladder test to filter through the powders and then the OCW to find the exact weight.

I'm also interested in your comment about cross referencing load data. What are you looking for to determine if two powders are the same; charge weight, pressure, velocity? The difficulty I see is that even if two powders were the same, the load data could be off by a full grain or so just because of a different test setup by diff manufacturers.

I'm sure you're correct that powders are duplicates, I'm just not sure how to tell...
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

I don't have any 100% facts to go by, but others here may (regarding exactly what powders are the same but under different labels), but ADI (Aussie manufacturers) have a list of comparisons on their website:
http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloade ... alents.asp
Whether these are all the same powders, or just equivalent burn rates, I don't know, but I've read on this forum that Hodgdon's H4895 (very popular for 204) is actually ADI's AR2206H re-labelled.
I've crossed referenced Start loads, pressure, velocity & Max load, press, vel:
AR2208-Varget
AR2206H-H4895
&Benchmark2-Benchmark
Main thing is availability though - I've got access to ADI's powder and maybe winchester if I try hard enough, but not Hodgdon, IMR or Alliant.
Go with what's available near you.

I guess if there's a few powders you're thinking of trying, post them on here and see if anyone else can tell if you've doubled up.
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Post by tpcollins »

I can't figure out how to upload the pdf file but if you go to http://www.desertsharpshooters.com and at the bottom left click on the load develop manual, has one of the best "ladder methods" I've seen - if you can find a 200 yard range.