Tac powder and Sierra Blitzking 32gr

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Tac powder and Sierra Blitzking 32gr

Post by savageboy23 »

Has anyone ever tried the recipe? I see that its not a known combination in the load data on this site. I'm sure I would be asking for disaster if it were to be tried. I have the current edition of the Hornady reloading book and its in the recipe for both the 32 gr and 40gr V-max. I will stick to known recipes. I may be purchasing different powders in the future. A friend of mine has had good luck with TAC powder so I figured I would try it.
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
HoundofSC
.204 Ruger Guns: Stevens based custom

Re: Tac powder and Sierra Blitzking 32gr

Post by HoundofSC »

TAC 32 SIE BK 26.0 3,700 28.5 4,100 58,100 2.250 from the Ramshot load guide
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Post by DoubleUp »

I was never able to get TAC to shoot really good in my 204. 1/2 inch groups were about the best I could get and velocity always ran 100-200 fps slower than several other powders. Ramshot's X-terminator did much better especially with 32's for me.

Tac would shoot very accurate groups in the .3's pretty routinely in my two 223's with a variety of bullets from 50 to 75g, but I just couldn't get the velocity up where I preferred it and not anywhere near Ramshot's published velocity. I reckon it is possible that it is just the 3 rifles I have shot it in, but for me, other than metering well, it is just a so so powder giving acceptable but not stellar accuracy and lacking somewhat in velocity.
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

Since I'm New to reloading I went over a friends house(he gas reloaded for a few years showed me me how and helped me load up some 32gr vmax with 25.2 gr of TAC powder and I used rem 7 1/2 primers and Winchester cases will try Friday to see how they group
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
DoubleUp

Post by DoubleUp »

Maybe that loading will give you a little confidence builder. We've all been there, and it's best to start on the low end until you feel confident you're not going to blow your head off. I would have started at 26g, but you should be okay. Sure hope TAC works out for you. Some people absolutely swear by it. Pulling the trigger on the first handload is a little nerve racking. It gets easier!
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

DoubleUp wrote:Pulling the trigger on the first handload is a little nerve racking. It gets easier!
+1

Looking back - should never have expected any decent groups on my first reload session.
Not sure how cringing, squinting, tensing up and flinching is supposed to help minimize damage if anything goes wrong, but you do it and somehow feel safer :lol: .
If you do everything safe at the reloading bench, start off on the lighter charges, and check every round for pressure before shooting the next higher charge, then all should go well.
Relax, enjoy, tighten them groups
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

Thanks for the confidence boosters. I will also be loading up some blitz kings with the TAC at a later date. My main reason for reloading at the moment is to get the hang of reloading and I'd like to make my shooting hobby not so hard on my pocket book lol
DoubleUp

Post by DoubleUp »

I'm sure you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. It does allow you to shoot a lot more for the same amount of money once the equipment costs are forgotten, and certainly allows you to tune a load that really maximizes the potential of your rifle. I spend a lot more time tinkering with loads than i should, but I enjoy the challenge of finding that seemingly perfect combination of accuracy and speed for any given bullet or caliber.
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

Went to the range today and tried out the reloads. Results were not as impressive as I thought. Im not so sure on how you figure out your group sizes? I just took a tape measure and measured the space between the 2 farthest holes. Worst group was 1 1/2" and the best was 1". It seemed like I always had a flier(maybe it was me). I was shooting 5 shot groups also. When we loaded the rounds we didn't debur the mouths, could that be part of the problem? I'm gonna try to load up a few more rounds this weekend with deburring the mouth. Im also gonna jump to the next charge or would you suggest just bumping my charge .5gr?

Thanks for the suggestions and help
DoubleUp

Post by DoubleUp »

savageboy, I decided to go back today and play a little with Tac and the new 32g z-max. Unfortunately it was late enough in the afternoon that my chrono only gave me a reading on the lowest load of 27.5g which was 3,809 fps and it wasn't much of a group at 1.409 moa. I did find a load at 27.9g that averaged out to .669 moa for 5 groups with a col of 2.344. However as stated chrono wouldn't read with low sun. This rifle has always shot best with a col of 2.332-2.350 with all the tipped bullets. However just on a hunch I moved the col in to 2.260 and shot 3 more groups right before dark. Those 3 groups averaged out to .394 moa. I don't know if this will help you any, but the 32 z-max appears to like a short col. rather than a long one in my rifle. If the weather is decent I'll shoot a few groups tomorrow and see what the chrono reading is. My guess is that it will be about 3,875 fps which isn't especially fast but might work for you. It might not be any value to you with the 32bk's.

You can download this free program called On Target. It is an excellent aid to give your group sizes if you have a scanner or can download pictures to your computer. I think Hedge shoots with the guy who invented the program and made it free to everyone. It would be worth your time to download it. Here is the web address:

http://www.ontargetshooting.com/download.html
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

Thanks doubleup! Ill give that a go once and ill see what I come up with
DoubleUp

Post by DoubleUp »

savageboy, I found the muzzle velocity of 27.9g to be 3,769 fps, so I went up to 28.5g where I found another decent shooting load with 4 groups averaging out to .481 and velocity running 3,940 fps. That was using once fired Rem brass and a Wolf 223 primer, col 2.260.
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

DoubleUp wrote:savageboy, I found the muzzle velocity of 27.9g to be 3,769 fps, so I went up to 28.5g where I found another decent shooting load with 4 groups averaging out to .481 and velocity running 3,940 fps. That was using once fired Rem brass and a Wolf 223 primer, col 2.260.
Wolf primers are not available up here in MN atleast at my gun shops. But once again thanks doubleup for the help and information ill be using your load data and see if I come up with the same results.
DoubleUp

Post by DoubleUp »

I haven't found much difference between Wolf 223 and Rem 7.5. Wolf might give just slightly more velocity, but not enough to make much difference. And the velocity of the 27.9g load should have been 3,869 instead of 3,769. Didn't proof read closely enough I guess. Anyway best to you on your workup. There are lots of good powders for 204 so don't hesitate to try something else if you can't get the TAC to work like you want.