Question about the Berger 40gr Varmint BT

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Question about the Berger 40gr Varmint BT

Post by tpcollins »

The pictures I've seen online of these bullets look like thay have a small hollow point at the tip - like a Barnes Grenade. But their description list them as "Varmint BT" - I just want to make sure these actually have hollow tips and not ploymer tips before I order. Thanks.

(Dang - these are expensive).
jlc204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12 vlp single shot 204

Re: Question about the Berger 40gr Varmint BT

Post by jlc204 »

"BT" stands for boat-tail. They have a hollow point tip.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

They have a very small HP, as many of Berger's varmint bullets do. No tip. And the above post is right on. BT is boat tail. Bill K
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

While we're on Bergers - anyone got an opinion on how they behave on critters in comparison to the 39BKs?
I have some 35Bergs. Heard they are generally very good on accuracy but wondered if they are very explosive, or do they penetrate more than the poly tips?
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

In my opinion they blow apart faster and do the damage inside on larger animals i.e. coyote. Smaller varmints i.e. squirrels/rabbits open up so much, who can tell. Bill K
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Sth Oz Dan--The 35 gr. FBHP Bergers for .204 caliber are excellent coyote bullets. They have been great for penetration, but don't usually exit. They seem to expend all their energy inside coyotes. They have been one of the most accurate bullets I have shot in my .204 Rugers.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Thanks fellas. My main quarry is foxes - a lot smaller than coyotes so I was wondering how quickly the Bergs would expand. Anyone used them on foxes?
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

I tried the 40gr Berger BTHPs using both Reloder 10X and 8208XBR and was disappointed with the results. I got much tighter groups using 40gr Vmaxs or 39 gr BlitzKings.
tpcollins

Post by tpcollins »

Tokimini wrote:I tried the 40gr Berger BTHPs using both Reloder 10X and 8208XBR and was disappointed with the results. I got much tighter groups using 40gr Vmaxs or 39 gr BlitzKings.

Whoa - I loaded some 39gr SBK and thought they grouped better than the 32gr Noslers. Howver, the rest I was using at the time wasn't the most stable so I want to try again with my new setup. But I was ready to buy some 40gr Bergers but your post gives me pause. Are the Bergers really that bad? Thanks.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Sth Oz Dan wrote:Thanks fellas. My main quarry is foxes - a lot smaller than coyotes so I was wondering how quickly the Bergs would expand. Anyone used them on foxes?
I have not shot a fox with them, but I would bet they would blow them up, to much, as they do on our large jackrabbits. But you never know til you hit a fox with one. Go run a test and have a go. Bill K :lol:
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

tpcollins wrote:Whoa - I loaded some 39gr SBK and thought they grouped better than the 32gr Noslers. Howver, the rest I was using at the time wasn't the most stable so I want to try again with my new setup. But I was ready to buy some 40gr Bergers but your post gives me pause. Are the Bergers really that bad? Thanks.
They shot kind of strange. I never had to resight my rifle switching between Vmaxs and Blitzkings but the Bergers always shot 3.75" to the left and I could not get sub .5" groups. With the Vmaxs I can get sub .25" groups and the Blitzkings are almost there. I certainly will never get Bergers again but your rifle might love them. The only way to find out is to give them a try. That's half the fun of reloading, seeing what works best for your particular gun.
tpcollins

Post by tpcollins »

I was on another forum earlier and found similar comments about the Berger 40gr accuracy. Some noted they suspect the lengthy boatail reduces the available bullet contact in the case neck. The Blitzkings have a much shorter chamfer that allows for a greater contact surface. If the Berger has a .100" chamfer like some claimed, allowing for a full .204" contact, that's .304" of bullet depth that needs to be seated. When I was reloading the 32gr Nosler, I think the ogive was below the neck initially - I had to reduce that a bit.

I think I'll stay with the Blitzkings.
tpcollins

Post by tpcollins »

I was at Cabelas this afternoon and looked at the Berger 40gr BT - it's not for me. The width of the boat tail chamfer is the widest I've seen on a bullet. Then I looked at the Berger 35gr FB and really liked that one but Berger recommends a 14" twist for that one and my Tikka has a 12" twist.

The SBK has the narrowest width boat tail I've seen in a 20 caliber, the Hornady V-Max was in between the Berger and the Sierra. I'd like to find a 40gr bullet with a flat base . . . any thoughts?
jlc204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12 vlp single shot 204

Post by jlc204 »

customreloadingtools.com makes 34, 37, & 40gr FBHPs
Also, hgfirearms.com makes 36, 38, 40, 42gr FBHPs
K22

Post by K22 »

jlc204 wrote:customreloadingtools.com makes 34, 37, & 40gr FBHPs
Also, hgfirearms.com makes 36, 38, 40, 42gr FBHPs
You beat me to it.

CRT's 37gr. are very accurate in my 1:12 twist 204 and so are the 35gr. Bergers. My favorite so far is the CRT 37gr. hp.