Case trimmer

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Case trimmer

Post by Tokimini »

I want to get a case trimmer and would like some recommendations. Which ones do a good job at a reasonable price? Thanks in advance.
zx10mike
.204 Ruger Guns: TIKKA T3 VARMINT

Re: Case trimmer

Post by zx10mike »

l e wilson.enough said
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Lee - very cheap for hand held job. Then add a zip trim, or electric screwdriver, if you get sick of doing it by hand.
Only problem is they don't make a length gauge for .204
They can make one for you if you send a sample case (already trimmed to your desired length)
I bought one length gauge for .223 because the shell holder fits .204, then bought one for 22-250 and bought the diameter down to suit. Also needed to take a little off the tapered section.
Took a little work but gets the job done well.
May be easier to get another brand that accommodates for 204 already, but these are CHEAP and if you have only one case already the right length, might be worth sending it in - see what they come up with. They might start churning them out for the rest of us :D
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

My vote would go to the Forester trimmer. Mine has worked flawlessly for over 30+ years, and with the added ability to also do outside neck turning, neck reaming, hollow-pointing, and simple trimming among other tasks, it's the ticket for what I do, and I do alot of handloading.

Set up for outside neck turning on some R-P .17 Mach IV cases:

This unit also accepts a power screwdriver or drill if you feel more speed is required. The neck turning attachment turns necks to .0003" consistency.....good enough for the rats I shoot. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Predator1
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Predator1 »

I have to 2nd the Forster case trimmer. Darn good trimmer for th emoney and it will do other tasks.

BTW Rick, how does it do on the neck turning?
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

L.E. Wilson Love mine and it trims SQUARE to the case.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
zx10mike

Post by zx10mike »

the foster looks the same as the l e wilson and i bow to the outher guys knowledge. knowing me its the same thing but cheaper :wall:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Predator1 wrote:BTW Rick, how does it do on the neck turning?
It does what it's supposed to do, and much less tiring on the hands than the hand-held units I've tried and quit using. I check random cases for consistency, and find it usually is accurate in neck thickness to about .0003" to .0005", which is as accurate as anything I've tried over the years. I usually neck turn in lots of 100 cases; the hand-held units would kill you for that kind of work. I had to use a tubing mic to find the spread above, as a three decimal digital caliper shows no difference case-to-case.

When neck turning, about every tenth case, I smear on just a tad of Imperial Sizing Wax on the neck mandrel with a Q-Tip, and cases come out perfect every time with minimal effort.

Never had a problem with trimming square to the case either. Be aware that the Wilson trimmer requires a case holder for every caliber case, one for new and one for fired cases. Excellent unit, just not for me.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

RIO-
My Wilson case holders work on my new and fired brass.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Tokimini

Post by Tokimini »

I just found out my sons are getting me an RCBS trimmer for Christmas. Does anyone have any experience with one of those?
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I do have, and use an RCBS trimmer, the Trim Pro model. For me, anyway, I am very happy with it. The first trimmer I bought was a Lyman. What I did not like, was the shell holder. About 3 years ago I did add the power unit for the RCBS trimmer, and use the 3 way cutters with it, which if set up right, trims the case and chamfers inside and outside of your cases, all at the same time. I am not saying this is the set up for everyone, but really saves me a lot of time and hand work, and I am very satisfied with it.
JMHO
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

futuretrades wrote:I do have, and use an RCBS trimmer, the Trim Pro model. For me, anyway, I am very happy with it. The first trimmer I bought was a Lyman. What I did not like, was the shell holder. About 3 years ago I did add the power unit for the RCBS trimmer, and use the 3 way cutters with it, which if set up right, trims the case and chamfers inside and outside of your cases, all at the same time. I am not saying this is the set up for everyone, but really saves me a lot of time and hand work, and I am very satisfied with it.
JMHO
+1 The 3 way cutters are a bit tricky to set up (the 1st one is), but they are terrific time and hand savers. Mine seem to cut very square mouths :D
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
Tokimini

Post by Tokimini »

I've been having a great time playing with my Christmas present, trimming 204 and 300WSM cases. I would highly recommend the RCBS Trim Pro to anyone interested in getting a case trimmer. It's easy to set up, holds the trim length right to the thousandth all the way through the run, and the case mouth is trimmed dead square. It will be interesting to see if my groups shrink using this brass. I hope everyone had a great Christmas.
zx10mike

Post by zx10mike »

glad you like your new christmas gift,nice to have a new toy.just for the record tho my wilson trims fired and sized brass hope it helps.
jpdown
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 14

Post by jpdown »

If you want a hand-held case trimmer that is simple to use like the Lee case trimmer and won't require fooling around with modifications to make it work for 204 Ruger cases, then get a Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmer 17/222/222MAG/223. Works great for 204 Ruger case trimming and won't break the bank.