Primer of Choice?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Predator1
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Primer of Choice?

Post by Predator1 »

Do you think that primers play a big role in accuracy? I shot winchester primers for yrs and had always been able to get great accuracy out of my reloads. However, when I had a Mach IV built I had problems with the WSR primers cratering due to the thin cup and that is normal with the little 17. So, I bought some CCI BR primers for the 17 and problem solved. I began to use the CCi for all my other calibers and as before I was always able to get good accuracy. Since then, I have also tried Rem 7 1/2's and Wolf and have had good luck with them all. I have noticed that with the smaller cases such as my Mach IV and 222 that I might need to adjust the load abit if I change brands but I haven't noticed it so much in the larger cases like the 22-250 and up.

I am still getting everything I need to start loading for the 204 and my current stock of primers is Wolf as I can get them $15. Was curious if the 204 had a liking for a particular primer or do you just shoot whatever is your choice?
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Re: Primer of Choice?

Post by Hedge »

For me, I've found BR4 and Rem 7 1/2 work best with H4895 or IMR8208XBR.
From what I've been able to glean from experience and the studies I've read, the primer plays about a 10% role in accuracy.
The major factors that you can easily play with are cases, powder, bullet and seating depth.

But, it's like every other aspect of tuning your loads. It isn't the caliber that has a preference for a component...it's the rifle.
Pick your bullet, case and powder and then find a primer that gives you the accuracy you want. Don't use the CCI400s in a .204 though.
The cup is too thin for the pressures.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Post by GaCop »

The CCI 450s work fine in all the 204 loads I've tested. I switched over to them because, for some reason BR-4s are hard to get in my area.
204foxguy
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12 lrpv

Post by 204foxguy »

GaCop wrote:The CCI 450s work fine in all the 204 loads I've tested. I switched over to them because, for some reason BR-4s are hard to get in my area.
Gacop,

Iam working up some loads using the CCI 450's as well.
Question, are you loads near max-charge? I think alot of the loads are worked up not using the Magnum primer and i'm wondering how the Magnum primer is effecting the Load, Signs of pressure?

All,

Have you tried working up loads using the Magnum Primer? :chin:
How is it /did it work for you? :?:

I have read on this site somewhere that with High pressure loads that the recommended primer is the small rifle Magnum .

Thanks, Foxguy
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

foxguy -

It's not that magnum primers are necessary for the pressures. It's the cup thickness. BR4, Rem 71/2, CCI450 all have a .025" thick cup. They handle the pressure just fine. It's the CCI 400s which have a .020" thick cup that don't. You get cratering at "mild" .204 pressures.
They're more suitable for Hornet class rounds.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I have had great results with Remington 7 1/2 BR in all my smaller calibers, 17 FB, 20 VarTarg, 204 and 223. They have thick primers and can handle the hotter loads. Accuracy has been good with them for me.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Ol` Joe
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by Ol` Joe »

If I need a small rifle primer, Remington 7 1/2s` are it ~80% of the time. I have pretty good luck with the Federal 205M in some loads too, but they are not the 1st primer I go with.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

I'm usinc CCI sm mags in the AR, only becuase that seemed to be the prevailing choice (ie., autos should use thick cup/mag), and they are fine. I've had equal success with the 'ol standards: Fed 205M, CCI sm mag, and Rem 7.5 BR in the bolt guns.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I'm shooting WSR small rifle primers in 223,204, and now my 20VT. Never had an issue with them in any of listed calibers, other than when I was working up loads, shooting in temps above 80+ degrees. I really was lucky, but I did learn a very valuable lesson that day. One that I will never forget!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
willyp19
.204 Ruger Guns: REM 700 Custom Predator / Varmint, REM 700 VS

Post by willyp19 »

Remington 7 1/2
Last edited by willyp19 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

futuretrades wrote:I'm shooting WSR small rifle primers in 223,204, and now my 20VT. Never had an issue with them in any of listed calibers, other than when I was working up loads, shooting in temps above 80+ degrees. I really was lucky, but I did learn a very valuable lesson that day. One that I will never forget!
What powder and bullet were you using?............Yea Rem 71/2 for me too.. :eek:
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Post by GaCop »

204foxguy wrote:
GaCop wrote:The CCI 450s work fine in all the 204 loads I've tested. I switched over to them because, for some reason BR-4s are hard to get in my area.
Gacop,

Iam working up some loads using the CCI 450's as well.
Question, are you loads near max-charge? I think alot of the loads are worked up not using the Magnum primer and i'm wondering how the Magnum primer is effecting the Load, Signs of pressure?

All,

Have you tried working up loads using the Magnum Primer? :chin:
How is it /did it work for you? :?:

I have read on this site somewhere that with High pressure loads that the recommended primer is the small rifle Magnum .

Thanks, Foxguy
So far, with all my loads, using the CCI 450 SR mag primer, I'm getting no indication of hot loads. I normally stay just below the book max loads for safety. I'm working on a load using the 32 grain V-Max pushed by 29.4 grains of W748. I'm seating the V-Max .060" OTL. 29.4 grains of 748 is just 2/10th grain below maximum yet I'm getting no indication of excessive pressure and am getting an average velocity of 3956 fps and a five shot group of .629". Though velocity and accuracy is not bad, the Standard Deviation and Extreme Spread is terrible for all the charges I've tried with W748. I believe I can do better with other powders. :chin:
dave22250
.204 Ruger Guns: T.C.encore 15 inch

Post by dave22250 »

I was using the rem.7 1/2 but switched to fed 205m groups shrunk considerably
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Post by Malazan »

REM 7 1/2

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
K22

Post by K22 »

Rem 7 1/2