Scales...Whats are we using?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
janesy
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 sps

Scales...Whats are we using?

Post by janesy »

Hey guys.

I'm needing a new digi scale. i've been getting by with an MTM CaseGuard and it is a total POS. I cannot accuartaly load for the .204 with it. Impossible.

What scales are every one using? I want to stay Digital. I've read up on all of the usuals, RCBS, LYMAN, etc, but they all seem to to have 50/50 possitive and negative reviews.

I have been looking at the PACK units, with I like the auto temporature adjustment feature.

I don't want to break the bank as the 204 is the only caliber I load for that the load MUST be withing 1/10th grain. but I am willing to spend $100-$200
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Re: Scales...Whats are we using?

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

I use the RCBS Chargemaster dispenser/scale combo and have been happy with it. Its accurate and quick.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

I load all my rifle on a Lyman DPS3 electronic powder dispensor,which has a very accurate scale,and use an older PACT scale to check weight when loading on my Hornady,LnL progresive for pistol,and other checks, like weighing bullets.Had it for 15 years,and it has been reliable.Gave my beam scale,to my gandson.They should have a nice one in your price range.If you load hi-volume,or intend to,you should consider a
electronin powder dispensor.RCBS,Lyman,Pact,and Hornady all make suitable equipment. I talked to a Sinclair tech last week,about his impression of the Hornady,and he lked it(it has three speeds).They were'nt out at the time I needed to load hi-volume for a Prarie dog shoot 2010,so bought the Lyman.Mid South did have the Hornady listed for $218,but haven't checked lately.
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Post by GaCop »

My PACT started acting up six months after I bought it, fluctuating all over the place with nothing on the platen. Would not rezero so beware of their poor quality. Older ones seem to be better quality than what they have now.
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

I bought an RCBS Range Master 750. Within a couple of months it began failing to hold zero so I sent it back. Their customer service was great to deal with and the new scale they replaced it with has been perfect. I was suspicious of it when it first came back so I kept checking it against an RCBS 5-0-5 balance beam scale, which I still do from time to time. Three years on and the 750 always agrees with the 5-0-5 to less than a tenth of a grain.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Janesy, I know it's not what your looking for but, a high quality beam scale used correctly will never let you down. Set it up at eye level and use a magnifyer if needed. Used with a good powder measure, it is fast and reliable. For those who use and like the electronic scales, give Janesy some help here on the best ones.
zx10mike
.204 Ruger Guns: TIKKA T3 VARMINT

Post by zx10mike »

i just bought hornady bench scale so far so good and cheap , i was going with lyman but was told they sometimes struggle with 24v in the uk.
terrace
.204 Ruger Guns: MK II TARGET SS LAMINATE,COOPER PHOENIX

Post by terrace »

i have been using the Smartreloader iSD Digital Powder Scale for 2 years and am happy with it
janesy

Post by janesy »

I happened across a used Lyman LE-1000 for a good deal. So I scooped it up this morning to keep me moving. I think my next step will be a scale/dispenser combo unit. But hopefully this is heads and shoulders over the crap MTM I am using now.

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming, this info is hard to find.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

Haha, I have one of those little MTM scales too. That thing isn't accurate enough to measure out flour for a pie. I got it for free and don't know why I still have it.
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Post by DoubleUp »

RCBS 10-10 as main scale with an RCBS 5-0-5 as a backup.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Trent wrote:Haha, I have one of those little MTM scales too. That thing isn't accurate enough to measure out flour for a pie. I got it for free and don't know why I still have it.

LOL yep. Mine does not measure 24.7 . Skpis it all together, will do all other decimal places, just not .7
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

wirelessguy2005 wrote:I use the RCBS Chargemaster dispenser/scale combo and have been happy with it. Its accurate and quick.
I have been using my RCBS Chargemaster for around 6 yrs now. For about the first year or so, I double checked the charges against my beam scale. This unit is always spot on. I still check occasionally, still no discrepancy, and I do load sometimes as many as 2000 to 3000 rounds a year.
I would just bite the bullet and get the scale-dispenser unit now and not mess around buying a scale now and then a powder dispenser later. I am also loading 204 and 223, and 38spcl. My 38 load only uses 3.5gr of Titegroup powder, and the dispenser/scale unit works flawlessly.
JMHO
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

For most rifle cartridges I use the RCBS 1500 Chargemaster, but for handguns and some small rifle calibers I've got a digital scale I bought from BrianEnos.com....German made, excellent quality and consistency....price is $135. I've owned the 10-10 scale, and a couple of less inexpensive digitals, but this is the one I'm satisfied with.

PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

janesy wrote:
Trent wrote:Haha, I have one of those little MTM scales too. That thing isn't accurate enough to measure out flour for a pie. I got it for free and don't know why I still have it.

LOL yep. Mine does not measure 24.7 . Skpis it all together, will do all other decimal places, just not .7
Yep, mine does that same thing. Trickle charging and it will jump right over a digit. Junk.

I bought a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 and use that for most of my reloading. I also have a RCBS 5:10 balance scale that I have been using for a while. I pretty much only use the Chargemaster these days though.