Just a quickie!

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
boomer84
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps varmint

Just a quickie!

Post by boomer84 »

G'day guys,

Just a quick one guys! Which dies do u guys use? Necksizing and full length? Which are the best (most precise and reliable) and which is just crap.

And yes i do understand that people will have different veiws and opinions! And i would like to hear them.

Thanks for your time.

Boomer
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Re: Just a quickie!

Post by GaCop »

I use a Lee collet die to neck size and a Redding full length die when the cases need the shoulder set back. For seating. I use a Forster comp die.

Tom
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Well I have used RCBS dies, 2 and 3 die sets, depending on what I am reloading, since around 1955 and have no unusual problems. I mostly neck size my brass for a particular rifle, the same with bottle neck brass in certain handguns. I do have some Hornady and Redding dies. But by in large, the other 15 or so calibers are RCBS. Bill K :)
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

I LOVE REDDING BUSHING DIES!!! not cheap, but I went cheap the first time and then I ended up spending a lot more to get what I really needed. I can adjust bushings and not overwork brass and I can get the exact neck tension that I want.
Now back to your question, lol. Neck size only until you need to bump the shoulders. Your brass will last longer, stretch less, and be more accurate and that my friend is fact not opinion. LOL
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Lee collet for neck sizing. Couldn't find a body die for the .204 so I opened up my FL die so it doesn't squeeze the neck and use that to bump the shoulder when it needs it.

Now, I see that Redding has a body die for the .204. So, I've ordered that. Guess I'll have a spare body die and no FL die. :roll:
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Redding Comp dies all the way for me for all my varmint rifles. Not that I use the F/L hardly at all, but for my 204 Rugers, on the shelf is a Body Die, Bushing F/L Die, Bushing Neck Die, and Competition Seating Die.

Measured TIR using these dies runs from zero to .00015".......about as perfect as I'm capable of making. If there's better dies to give almost perfect coaxial alignment, I'm not aware of them.

To be fair, many of my hunting rifles are fed using RCBS dies, and have been for many years. For most work in the field, they're fine, but for the last bit of possible accuracy in my target & varmint rifles, it's Redding for me. JMO
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

I'm using the same gear as Rick in a Redding Big Boss Two. Works great for me. I did go to Titanium bushing and Carbide button and believe I can feel a reduction in friction (using dry neck lube). That being said, I picked up a used Haydon arbor press and want to try the micrometer top Wilson seater. Why? Purely out of curiosity and the fact that both the press and die are products of the great Pacific Northwest! I do not really expect to gain any concentricity over the Redding Competition seater but, I hope it is every bit as good while changing up the routine. If anyone has any input on this, I'd love to hear it.