Case prep and Cartridge OAL

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
belfire27
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV

Case prep and Cartridge OAL

Post by belfire27 »

OK, gents, my questions of the day are:
1- How many neck size vs. FL size their cases? I use a FL competition die set by RCBS because it works well in my other calibers. I like the micrometer adjustment and I like the bullet guide for better alignment into the case. I do, however, neck size only for other guns because I find it tightens the group a bit over a FL sized case. I might buy a collet die to see if theres an advantage if necking is the preferred practice. I bought 200 Nosler cases and they still are at 1.835" so I haven't had to trim yet. It appears this caliber doesn't stretch as much. which makes sense if you compare to a longer case, like a 30-06.

2- COAL.... again, I find touching or nearly touching in other calibers brings the group tighter but I see so many loads in the favorites list here that are seated pretty deep. I am running 39 SBKs now to see how they perform and i got about 3/8" groups at 100Y with an OAL of 2.400" and it looked a tiny bit better at 2.390". I've read here that this caliber likes a jump into the lands- is that the consensus? I loaded 4895 and 8208 and so far the 4895 looks a bit better in my gun.

I'm sure if I keep testing I will find a good combo but If I can save a few steps and a pound of powder, that wouldn't be a bad thing. Thanks in advance,
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Re: Case prep and Cartridge OAL

Post by Tokimini »

1) Right now I'm using a full length sizing die, but I am going to get a neck sizing die next time I order from Midway.

2) My rifle (Remington 700 SPS) seems to like a COAL of 2.313", although 2.306" shows some promise. From what I've heard most 204s have a very long free bore and even getting close to the lands is problematic. I have not had very good luck with 39 grain Blitz Kings using 8208XBR. They group much tighter using Reloder 10X.
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

I neck size using a Lee collet die. I wasn't sure such an inexpensive die would be much of a help. Sure was wrong on that. I don't have any way to measure runout but, I turned Madpaddler onto the Lee die and he has a concentrcity gauge. He tells me that after measuring his loads they run from 0.0005" to 0.0015" eccentricity with a few at 0.002".

I also found that the simple little bullet seater that comes with the die does a more consistent job of seating than my micrometer seater!
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I have been using an RCBS competition seating die for my 204 and 223, for over 5 years now. My own experience with it gives me some very good groups, and as stated above, makes handling those 20 and 22 cal bullets a lot easier. Also, I only neck size with a Lee collet die, and a Redding bump die when needed.
I will be using Type "S" Match neck dies for the new Cooper (that should be here shortly) chambered in 20 VarTarg! :wink:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

For bolt guns...I neck size. Why? I detest case trimming which is what the case ultimately needs if you F/L size.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim White wrote:For bolt guns...I neck size. Why? I detest case trimming which is what the case ultimately needs if you F/L size.
+ One for that, Jim. Why overwork the brass unnecessarily? :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Lee collet neck sizing for me. Why?
1) I hate dealing with lube
2) Cases seem to last longer (I'm on 6x, annealed after that, bumped after that, and now on 8x, Nosler brass)
3) I fergit what else...

My OAL on both guns (one bolt, one AR) seemed to matter little. I ended up @ 2.25" for both.

Bullets that aren't seated very deep knock out easier though, when you make a boo boo....