40 gr CRT vs 40 Berger

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

40 gr CRT vs 40 Berger

Post by Song Dog »

I FINALLY got to shoot the 40 grain CRTs today and compare to the 40 grain Bergers. What I can't believe is that I have shot the Bergers alot better than today, but if it was shooter error, then the 40 grain CRTs will be one holer all day long on good day.
I will have to say that I VERY impressed with the end result on paper.
Here is a couple pics of the CRT vs BERGER
If anyone interested, I may have a few boxes of Bergers for sale ;)
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
K22

Re: 40 gr CRT vs 40 Berger

Post by K22 »

Those are some nice 40gr.CRT targets Song Dog. Did you happen to get a velocity reading on those loads? I've tried some of the CRT 34gr. bullets and really like them.
I am really interested in finding out how well they 34's and the 40's do on Coyotes.
cornstalker
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12

Post by cornstalker »

Good stuff SD!!

I just got started playing with the 34 grainers. 3 out of 4 groups were under an inch while progressing up through the charges of IMR8208XBR.

One thing that has me scratching my head is that my 11 twist Douglas barrel is throated long. I tried to measure max COL and the bullet fell out of the case. I just seated them as I do the 40 grain Bergers and went for it. (base of bullet near bottom of neck)

I'll seat 'em out a little longer and try again, but I have loads good enough to hunt them and see if the "bangfloppability" (a borrowed term) is where I hope it is.

I normally shoot the 40 grain Berger's over Varget like Song Dog. Hope I can make the 8208 and CRT's work for the added velocity and temp stability.

Sending a PM Song Dog. Gotta question for you.
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Cornstalker,

I'm running my 40 gr. Vmax seated at .110" from the lands for my accuracy loads in the Savage 12. Long throat there, too. .204 R seems to like the long jump. Using 8208 XBR and Rem 7 1/2 BRs.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
cornstalker
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12

Post by cornstalker »

Maybe the "overbore" .204 likes a bit of "freebore" like the Weatherby cartridges. I guess I could have still measured max COL with the comparator, just kind of rushed off and seated them off the ogive with what worked for the Bergers. It's crunch time now and I have 160+ rounds loaded with the 40 grain Bergers, may have to suspend load development on a new bullet for a bit.

The CRT's are really looking promising though. Can't wait to see how this ends up.