loading for accuracy

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
TX204FAN
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American , CZ 527 Varmint

loading for accuracy

Post by TX204FAN »

Has anyone posted a thorough, best practices process guide for reloading the .204 for consistent accuracy? I have not been able to find anything yet. Something that would cover everything you would do to make each load as perfect as you could.

Thanks,
Mike D.
TX204FAN
CZ 527 American 28.5" heavy barrel 1:12 twist, Leupold VX-I 3x9x40, bipod and custom leather sling.
CZ 527 Varmint 24" barrel 1:9 twist, Leupold VX-I 4x12x40
TX204FAN

Re: loading for accuracy

Post by TX204FAN »

Maybe I should get the Woodchucks Den book on 20 cals.
Mike D.
TX204FAN
CZ 527 American 28.5" heavy barrel 1:12 twist, Leupold VX-I 3x9x40, bipod and custom leather sling.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Unless I am missing something. The process is the same for any cartridge that you want to make better. Match cases, weigh them, clean them, size and trim, clean up the primer pocket(inside and out) find a powder load and COL for a given bullet weight that gives the tightest group.
Not a hard process, but just take some time and effort/shooting, etc. Not a bad thing, however, just fun shooting and experimenting with powder and bullet. Follow any good reloading book, for steps, just be more critical of each step. Bill K :D
TX204FAN

Post by TX204FAN »

Thanks. Since I'm new sometimes it seems I have asked a question or two that show I have a lot to learn. I thank the 100 people who have read this post and not put me in my place for showing restraint and I will return to my reading.
Mike D.
TX204FAN
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

TX204FAN wrote:Thanks. Since I'm new sometimes it seems I have asked a question or two that show I have a lot to learn. I thank the 100 people who have read this post and not put me in my place for showing restraint and I will return to my reading.
We all had to start somewhere. This board is made of many great human beings and of course a few not so great, but I think it is one of my all time favorites. :yeah:
Steve
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I agree with Steve on that point. Having cruised various sites and forums on shooting, etc. this one is at the top of the list, for infomation and the guys/gals seem to get along really well, with no guff, etc. I enjoy it, believe you will also. We all learn from good info and assisting each other. Bill K :D
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

TX204FAN wrote: I thank the 100 people who have read this post and not put me in my place for showing restraint and I will return to my reading.
Nope, we won't put ya in your place, but now you owe us all one big azz prairie dog hunt, with bbq to boot. Deal? Deal!
TX204FAN

Post by TX204FAN »

No prairie dogs around here! But I have killed 28 water moccassins so far this year.
Mike D.
TX204FAN
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

TX204FAN wrote: I have killed 28 water moccassins so far this year.

Yikes :eek: That's too many. How bout you just host the first annual 204Ruger BBQ? :D

Seriously though, let us know how you're coming along with your reloading and accuracy progress.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

sharptailhunter wrote:
TX204FAN wrote: I thank the 100 people who have read this post and not put me in my place for showing restraint and I will return to my reading.
Nope, we won't put ya in your place, but now you owe us all one big azz prairie dog hunt, with bbq to boot. Deal? Deal!
Wait, you bbq your prairie dogs?? That is just disgusting. :eew:

But if I had to eat one... that might be the way to do it. :chin:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I can't pass this one up......

On an industry sponsored PD shoot a few years ago, my neighbor, former VP of Nosler and outdoor firearms writer Chub Eastman and a bunch of us were sitting down for lunch on the SD prairie while our rifles cooled at the benches. Sandwiches from the local hotel we were staying were handed out to all the shooters. Chub went to take a bite out of his, when he said something like "Whoooaa, something's very wrong with THIS picture!".

We all looked to see what he was talking about, and one of the other shooters in a moment of frivolity and PD-shootin' madness, had inserted the front shoulder, arm and paw of an adult prairie dog into Chub's sandwich. Only the little critters paw was sticking out like a piece of lettuce when Chub had started to take a bite!

Needless to say, no one fessed up to the stunt, but we all had a purty good laugh session before we got back to poppin' the dogs. Ahh, the humor of 'serious shooters', eh? :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Mike,
Not going to ask what you do with all those Water Moc.'s. However as far as posting questions, you should read some of my posts. Best part is nobody has ever busted my chops here and they still let me hang out on this site!
Jon
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

Trent wrote:
sharptailhunter wrote:
Wait, you bbq your prairie dogs?? That is just disgusting. :eew:

But if I had to eat one... that might be the way to do it. :chin:
I think he means he bbq's water moccassins :D
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
TX204FAN

Post by TX204FAN »

I should have been catching all those mocs and I would have if I had had any idea how many I could have had! It would have made some nice skins for some cool belts, or slings! Maybe even sell them to a venom clinic for antidote or other uses. I have really enjoyed reading some of your posts about your pd hunts. We do have a heck of a wild hog problem in this part of the country. When I have time I like to go sit on my lease property and wait for them to move thru. My farthest kill shot with the .204 was 420 yards. 150 lb. boar who was 1/3 the size of the rest of the herd dropped faster than I could see with a off the shelf 40gr. Hornady round. That was my first kill with the gun...also my first attempt and my first hog! Pretty cool I thought and I fell in love with that rifle!
Mike D.
TX204FAN
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

TX204FAN wrote:No prairie dogs around here! But I have killed 28 water moccassins so far this year.
Never realized Texas had so many Water Moc's. Thought they were further east and on up into Ark. But they probably eat as well as our timber Rattlers do, when grilled. And yes, those skins would make a neat looking belt, hat band or such. Bill K :)