Which comparitor to check .20 cal?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Which comparitor to check .20 cal?

Post by tpcollins »

I'd gotten a Davidson nose and base set for my .243, so I ordered just another nose piece for my .204. The base is suppose to accomodate 3 different cartridge heads but the .20 nose piece is too large (about .468" instead of .378") and the shoulder would have to be at least .160" to reach down to the smaller diameter in the base.

I've read either here or on The Firing Line of people having a similar issue - on factory ammo or reloading 32gr bullets, the comparitor falls all the way down to the case neck. Just wondering what other people here use to check the ogive for .204?
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Re: Which comparitor to check .20 cal?

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

There's a .20 adapter available for the Hornady (formerly Stoney Point) comparator.
The Reloader
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS Varmit

Re: Which comparitor to check .20 cal?

Post by The Reloader »

I love the Hornady Comparator! The Body Houses all the inserts for the bullet comparing and all the inserts for head space gauging!. If you ever wanted to but the Hornady Lock and Load comparator you have to buy the set that comes with 14 inserts the 20 cal is not included in the 6 standars insert set. (I believe the 14 insert set with body was just over $30.00) What was really neat for me I was able to see that taking my Measurment from the comparator to the rim were all with-in .0005 The trick to measuring it most accuratly was to twist the case in the comparator until the lowest reading on the caliper was made.