Why are Sierra's loads lower than others?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Why are Sierra's loads lower than others?

Post by tpcollins »

I'm getting ready to load 39gr Blitzking over H4895. Sierra recomends 24.1 grains to 26.5 grains. Hodgden doesn't list a 39gr bullet but for the 40gr bullet weight it lists 26.0 - 27.7C for H4895. On Trent's data file for H4895 there's 27.3, 27.7, 27.5, 26.9 and for whatever reason a 23.2 (maybe a typo) . And my Nosler reloading manual usually lists loads a bit higher than Hodgden.

I don't recall seeing a "most accurate load" at the maximum end of any lists but the Sierra seems to be the lowest all all that I've read. Just wondering if Sierra's loads are more favorable for accuracy whereas the others like to show the need for speed? Thanks.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Why are Sierra's loads lower than others?

Post by Bill K »

It might be that they go for accuracy, more than speed. OR they could just want to err on the side of caution, rather than have someone get harmed. Bill K :)
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Post by GaCop »

Bill K wrote:It might be that they go for accuracy, more than speed. OR they could just want to err on the side of caution, rather than have someone get harmed. Bill K :)
You hit the nail on the head. Ammunition companies have become so liability conscious they've reduced their max loads in manuals to cover their butts. My older manuals (more than 20 years) have much higher max loads.

Tom
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

GaCop wrote:
Bill K wrote:It might be that they go for accuracy, more than speed. OR they could just want to err on the side of caution, rather than have someone get harmed. Bill K :)
You hit the nail on the head. Ammunition companies have become so liability conscious they've reduced their max loads in manuals to cover their butts. My older manuals (more than 20 years) have much higher max loads.

Tom
Don't forget that powder manufacturers change their formulas from time to time and have to adjust their min/max loads. Take H380 for example, Hodgdon changed that formula and actually raised the max loads for the .22-250. Sometimes you have to be careful with those old loads.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

tpcollins wrote:I'm getting ready to load 39gr Blitzking over H4895. Sierra recomends 24.1 grains to 26.5 grains. Hodgden doesn't list a 39gr bullet but for the 40gr bullet weight it lists 26.0 - 27.7C for H4895. On Trent's data file for H4895 there's 27.3, 27.7, 27.5, 26.9 and for whatever reason a 23.2 (maybe a typo) . And my Nosler reloading manual usually lists loads a bit higher than Hodgden.

I don't recall seeing a "most accurate load" at the maximum end of any lists but the Sierra seems to be the lowest all all that I've read. Just wondering if Sierra's loads are more favorable for accuracy whereas the others like to show the need for speed? Thanks.
Don't forget that each powder manufacturer and bullet company is generally running their own tests on different equipment and using different components. This is going to lead to slight variances in pressures.