Using bullet puller on .204

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Using bullet puller on .204

Post by tpcollins »

I decided I didn't want to use certain .204 cartirdges I had loaded so I picked up one of those kinetic bullet pullers to remove some 32gr and 39gr bullets - NOT! Obviously there's alot less momentum trying to move these little pills compared to maybe a 180gr from an '06 or something. Has anyone used one of these for .204 successfully? Thanks.
Neil S.
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: Using bullet puller on .204

Post by Neil S. »

Mine has worked just fine for 39 grain bullets. I give it a couple good wacks until the bullet is almost out and then a couple light taps so it comes out gently and doesn't deform. I hit it against a wood block on top of a cement floor.

-Neil
NESHOOTER
.204 Ruger Guns: SAVAGE 12 VLP/DBM 26'' LAM-STK/FLTD SS BLL/

Post by NESHOOTER »

I also have one of those k-pullers but I do like my hornady puller with collets. No mess no fuss no spilled powder, then I just necksize them and put all powder back where it came from.
Semper Fi
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

I also use the hornady collet puller. I've only pulled .243 and 7MM Rem Mag with it so far, but I sure do like it. Like NESHOOTER said, NO MESS. You do have to buy a collet for each caliber, but I like it. I have not used the style of puller you are speaking about.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Post by tpcollins »

Well I went out and put a piece of hardwood on the garage floor and commenced to beating the crap out of it and the bullets came out without breaking the handle. But on the little 32 grain bullets I don't know if there's enough roonm for a collet to grip on the straight sides - looks a tad short to me but I did get them out. Thanks.
jlc204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12 vlp single shot 204

Post by jlc204 »

I put a single foam earplug in the bottom of my impact puller. It helps stop any bullet damage that may occur.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

I have used both and the colllet Hornady puller is the way to go.Quick,no mess,and easy on the bulets.I use the tomahawk on handgun cartridges,hit on the anvil part of my bench vice.
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

I've used a kinetic bullet puller on 32-gr .204 loads. Got to beat the ever-loving snot out of them. Much worse if you're pulling the bullet because you forgot the charge. Which is why I bought an RCBS collet bullet puller.