204 ruger accuracy and penetration tests

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
louie the fly
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 ruger tikka T3 super varmint

204 ruger accuracy and penetration tests

Post by louie the fly »

Hey lads,

I wanted to compare the expansion and penetration of two 20 cal projectiles: The hornady 45gr Spire point and the sierra 39gr BK.

Test details:
Range: 300yds
bullet expansion media: 3 soaked yellow pages books.
Rifle/Scope: Tikka T3 Super varmint/ Leupold VX-3 6.5-20 x 50
Ammo: 45gr SP -- 25.5gr 2206H, Remmy prepped cases, Federal Gold Match Primers
39gr SBK -- 28.5gr 2206H, '' ''
Accuracy: As shown @ 100yds.

Test results:
The 45gr SP shoot very well in my rifle, apart from the fly as shown in the pic As a result of this good accuracy i was keen to see how they would perform at longer distances. As shown by the pics, the bullet expanded 1.5X, and penetrated through 2 1/2 yellow page books, which was about 15''. Accuracy @ 300yds was good with 3 shots going into about 2''. Retained weight was about 40gr. I think that these bullets would be quite adequate for 204 users who come across a goat or pig at close to medium ranges, as they seem to hold together and penetrate quite well.

The 39gr SBK also shoot very well in my rifle and are my main load. I was expecting them to hold together a bit more than they did at 300yds, given their lower velocity at that range. However, as shown by the pics they almost fragmented completely, only retaining 11.3gr of weight. Penetration was measured at around 1 1/2 yellow pages books, which equates to about 9''. Accuracy @ 300yds was good with a 3 shot group being around the 2'' mark.

I'm aware that phone books don't really replicate shooting foxes or other game, however it still gives us an idea into the nature of the individual bullet expansion, and i personally find it very interesting. On smaller game as im sure many 204 user would know, the 39SBK is very deadly on bunnies and foxes out past 300yds. However, at those ranges if the 39gr SBK hits bone it may create only a shallow, superficial wound. Whereas the 45gr may very well hold together and penetrate.

Anyway just my 2 cents worth. I would love to hear any feedback or experience from any users on these bullets.

Cheers

Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Re: 204 ruger accuracy and penetration tests

Post by Trent »

Nice second post! Thank you for all the photos and testing. What is the twist rate in the Tikka's?

That last photo with the mushroomed 45 grainers is a neat one.
louie the fly
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 ruger tikka T3 super varmint

Post by louie the fly »

thanks mate...the twist is 1 in 12....which is fairly standard I think. The 40 gr VMAX's don't shoot at all in my rifle, but the 45's seem to shoot quite well. can't complain at all.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Now I would like to see the affects on a coyote with the 45s.
NICE POST!
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

louie the fly wrote:thanks mate...the twist is 1 in 12....which is fairly standard I think. The 40 gr VMAX's don't shoot at all in my rifle, but the 45's seem to shoot quite well. can't complain at all.
That is interesting. I may have to give them a try.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

The reason most 12 twists shoot the 45 gr sp's better than the 40 gr V-max is because the OAL of the 45 is shorter than the 40 v-max
Here is a pic with some OAL comparisons.
http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7237
Savage Vaporizer