Reloading

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
spongejo
.204 Ruger Guns: howa1500

Reloading

Post by spongejo »

Hello. I have a howa 1500 24". Been shooting hornday ammo 40 gr. Just got vit 133 and 39 bk heads, can anybody give me any loading details please and what primers to use?? Thanks.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: Reloading

Post by Joe O »

My first choice would be Rem 71/2 then WSR,Rem 61/2,Fed match and standard.
RoadKill
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem. 700VLS and 23" G2 barrel on older Contender

Post by RoadKill »

Due to error at the store I was shipped the Remington 6 ½ primers instead of the 7 ½ but chose to keep them after initial inquiries revealed little difference. Since then I have seen many warnings that the 6 ½ primers are for use only with lower pressure rounds such as .22 Hornet because of the 6 ½‘s thinner cup. One of the warnings is in tiny print on the 6 ½ packaging. The reports say for higher pressure rounds including the .17, .222, and .223 Remington, and the .204 Ruger that the thin cup 6 ½ will “pinhole” leaking hot high pressure gas that will “torch” your bolt face.

Yet I continue to see a fair number say they have used the 6 ½ in .223 “forever” and either haven’t noticed a “problem” or just don’t care so I still don’t know how much of a problem it really is. I had intended to burn them up in loads from the “begin” range of the listings but I had rather NOT torch my bolt’s or my face in the process.

So until I see many more reports of folks using the 6 ½ especially in .204R that are aware of the potential problem but have still not observed it in their gun, I will use the BR4 that I also have.

Anyone loving the 6 ½ used in the warned against rounds? I’m too poor to replace my traded away Hornet any time soon.

Bring on some Spring time!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

RoadKill: I would strongly recommend NOT using 6.5 primers in the 223 OR 204. To do so is just inviting a primer failure/rupture, and send hot gas into your face at 2,500 fps......not pretty.

You may well get away with using them for a while, but eventually, you'll experience the hot gas rush.......seen it myself years ago when a buddy used the 6.5 primer in his 223 during a rat shoot. Lucky for him, he was wearing sunglasses, but they were pitted and ruined from the gas escape. His bolt face also was severely pitted. He surely would have lost an eye if not wearing his glasses that day.

Many folks say DON'T use 6.5 primers in the hotter rounds for good reason. The factory warns against doing so for these very liability issues, but they are the darling of my 17 Ackley Hornet, my 22 K-Hornets, but never, ever will they be used in any of my 223's or 204's. I like my face the way it is now....... :chin:

Find a Hornet shooter and sell 'em, but don't use them in your 204......please. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Rodeorat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmit

Post by Rodeorat »

I'm new to this sight and thought I would post some pics of my new CZ 20 caliber 204. I have had this rifle for about a month and I just got through customizing it. I did the glass bedding job, scope mounting and bolt work myself. I have been reloading now for about 5 years and this is my first rifle to customize. I shot factory ammo for my test shooting I haven't had a chance to load up some rounds. I have posted a pic of the results at a 100 yards. I was very impressed with this rifle
and I think the accuracy will improve when I work up my own loads. The bedding was a learning experriance for sure and a lot of work but it was fun doing it.

#1 Image

#2 Image

#3 Image

#4 Image

#5 Image

#6 Image
spongejo
.204 Ruger Guns: howa1500

Post by spongejo »

Thanks guys. Vit 133 tables required for 39 blitzking, still can't find enough info on reloading it safely.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

From what Todd Kindler told me, N135 is much more suited to the 39 & 40 grainers in the 204R. I've got his loads using that Vit powder if you want.

I use Vit N133 with spectacular results in my Cooper M21 VR 223 Rem and the 40gr Nosler BT, shooting into the high .1's, low .2's, but never tried it in any of my 204's. If I come across data, I'll send. Here's a link to a post that some guys that are using N133 in the 204 in the meantime:

http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_bl.a ... dy%20V-Max
http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?356 ... -Reloading

rodeorat: Good luck with the new rifle. Now that you've bedded one, the next one will be even easier. Love the outfit on your pooch! :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I concur on the Remington 7 1/2 primers, that is all I use on my small calibers. I have had good accuracy with them and they do have thicker metal to take the higher pressures. I have had problems with Winchester primers in my larger calibers being loose in the case. Switched to another brand and no problems.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I made the switch to 7.5 over the 6.5 when I started shooting a 17/223 due to the higher pressure and primers piercing. I would just make the move and stick with the 7.5 in all the hotter cartridges i.e 223, 204, etc and not worry about having a problem. Just work up your loads with them and have fun. Bill K :)