New guy here

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
fishy
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

New guy here

Post by fishy »

Hey there guys!

Well to start off I am new to this forum and wanted to say hello to all.
I recently purchased a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 204. I haven't done much shooting with it yet, but am very pleased with what it has done so far. Everything down the tube (70 rounds) has been factory Hornaday 32 gr. VMax. I am averaging groups of about 3/4" inch at 100 yards with several groups that my thumbnail would cover. I have done some reloading for other calibers, and would like to start getting some loads done up for this gun. I guess what I am getting at is I would like to get a good starting point for loads for this gun that others have used and have had good success with. Thanks for any information in advanced.

Mark
larr
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12 lrpv

Re: New guy here

Post by larr »

hello and welcome to the forum, each rifle will prefer a certain bullet and load,with that being said i like starting with different bullets (ex.weights,manufactures) i use http://www.bulletsamples.com/Stock.html and order 20 of each then i open reloading manuals and start loading from the minimum loads until i find the load and bullet combo that gives me the best groups.then i start working with that load changing powder charges,seating depth,primers until i find the combo that groups the tightest. my 204 likes rx10 and 39 sierras. this is how i start loading for a new rifle and it works for me.I'm sure others have different methods that you should consider also.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Welcome to the site fishy. Plan on shooting those fish with a 204? There will not be enough to clean! There is a lot of information on reloading here. Go to the reloading section and do a search. There are a couple of pages of just loads on one string alone. Every rifle likes it's own load. Mine like H4895, just under max load. We like pictures here. Looking forward to your posts.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
fishy
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by fishy »

Thanks for the replies fella's. Mainly its going to be a p dog and yote gun. I've actually put down quite a few p-dogs with it already. Thats just plain fun. I've lurked around on the site for a month or so and have read quite a few interesting load and bullet combo's, just wondering if anyone had anything specific for the Ruger M77 that they liked. Anyways, I will post up my findings in the future and wish the best of luck to you all.
SongDogMB
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77 Target Varmint

Post by SongDogMB »

[Finnally a guy with some sence lol Bought one myself and found 28.3 varget and 40 grain v max will remove the eye off a songdog full out run at 525 yardswith very little hold over zero at 250 yards no matter what anyone tells you differnt done it a few times with some sceptics about range along for the show