Need some ideas

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Need some ideas

Post by ryutzy »

I bought a Savage model 110 in 30-06 that has a split open barrel due to being shot with mud in the barrel. I paid 75 dollars for gun and scope. I obviously need to rebarrel it, but I have never had to rebarrel a gun yet, so I am a newbie. I am not looking to dump a lot of money into this gun--it'l be a (tractor/truck) gun. How easily can I change the caliber of this gun? I dont really need a 30-06. Will the chambering of the barrel take care of it? It is obviously a long action, so I'm assuming that I need to stay with a long action caliber. Do I need to stay with a 30 cal chambering? Any help would be appreciated.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Need some ideas

Post by acloco »

Long action cartridges will feed better from the mag box you have. Any caliber that uses the same bolt head will be a good fit - 25/06, 270, 280, 30/06, 338/06, etc.

Should have that action/bolthead checked by a competent gunsmith.

I could REALLY use that split barrel for teaching class. Would at least pay the shipping on it.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

thanks for the info. Yes I'm going to have a gunsmith check it out and replace the barrel. The 25-06 would sound appealing. I'd be happy to ship the barrel to you if you would like. You can PM me your address etc. It will prob be a few wks till I would get it shipped. The barrel will be a great teaching tool. I do believe the person who shot the gun when this happened had to change his underwear. He was terrified. LOL
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
larr
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12 lrpv

Post by larr »

i have a 25-06 barrel i took off my 110. it has around 400 rounds down the tube. if you are interested pm me for more info. i was getting ready to post it in the classifieds.