Need help with load using Benchmark and 39 grn. Sierra BK.

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
p5200
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 vtr .204

Need help with load using Benchmark and 39 grn. Sierra BK.

Post by p5200 »

Hello to everyone! I have ordered the Sierra Blitzking 39 grain bullets and plan to load for my new Remington 700 vtr .204. Also, I have some 40 grn. Hornady V-Max coming. I have the Hornady OAL gauge and comparator etc for finding chamber length. What I really need is some good starting powder charges with the BenchMark powder I picked up today and, the Sierra bullets as I am pretty new to re loading. I also have some Varget powder I have been using for my Savage 10fp .223. I am mainly interested in accuracy loads for target shooting from 100-200 yards. Thanks for all advice! :) The twist rate is 1:12 for this barrel thought I'd better mention that.
Last edited by p5200 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Need help with load using Benchmark and 69 grn. Sierra BK.

Post by Rick in Oregon »

First off, welcome to the forum. :D

For getting started, just refer to the tab at the top of the forum page marked "204 Load Data". Also, you may want to edit your post heading, as I don't think too many guys will have any helpful info for the "69gr Sierra BK" in .204 caliber. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

p5200
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 vtr .204

Re: Need help with load using Benchmark and 69 grn. Sierra BK.

Post by p5200 »

Rick in Oregon wrote:First off, welcome to the forum. :D

For getting started, just refer to the tab at the top of the forum page marked "204 Load Data". Also, you may want to edit your post heading, as I don't think too many guys will have any helpful info for the "69gr Sierra BK" in .204 caliber. ;)
My first post on this forum, and I had to have a brain fart sorry folks! :oops:
jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

Re: Need help with load using Benchmark and 39 grn. Sierra BK.

Post by jdefranc938 »

Welcome to the forum. I use the 39 SBK's in my CZ with the Benchmark powder. My pet load is 25.2 grains to give a 5 shot group of .33. Just use the data that's published under the "load data" section and work your way from there. Benchmark has been a stable powder for me, as I use it in all 4 of my varmint rifles. Good luck and keep us posted
Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR
rayfromtx

Re: Need help with load using Benchmark and 39 grn. Sierra BK.

Post by rayfromtx »

Beware of using loads you found on the net. I will tell you what I am shooting in my gun but be warned it is a hot load and I worked up from 10% lower.

I shoot pacnor 11 twist polygonal rifled barrels at 27". I use 205M or BR4 primers. Does not seem to affect the velocity but take note of a pierced primer mentioned below.

With the two barrels I used last year and the year below I achieved 3975 fps or there abouts with .3" five shot groups typical. I think 10 or 20 shot groups are the best way to confirm a load prior to loading up hundreds of rounds or when you travel 800 miles to where you shoot as I do. This load was 26.2 grains of Benchmark. With this years barrels, I am achieving the same velocity and the same accuracy with 27.0 grains. I used some old (more than 20 years) 205M primers. I had been told on this forum that the cups are thicker on the BR4 primers but these were on hand and I got them cheap so I used them. Out of 850 rounds fired during a PD hunt a few weeks back I got one pierced primer.

The good news was that I only missed 50 shots the whole trip. It is sometimes difficult to tell if the shot was a hit or a miss but the most that I might have missed was 75 because most were obvious dog explosions or I could hear the pop of the solid hit on the dog through my electronic muffs.