Not the best results help

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
sodwyer
.204 Ruger Guns: rem sps var 204

Not the best results help

Post by sodwyer »

NewGuy here. Reloading rem SPS 204 with 32bk and 27.3gn benchmark coal 2.255 br4 primers 119fps ES and 2"virtical groups same results with blc-2. Should I be looking at seating depth or case runout? I do not weigh my hornady brass or my bullets What would likely helpto solve this problem ? :wall:
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Re: Not the best results help

Post by 204cat »

you are starting with in .7g near max. try reducing the load toward the low end to start with and see what your rifle likes. 26.6g of benchmark seems to be the spot.

when you close the bolt do you get any resistance ? only if you do then change seating depth. i would reduce the load first and work up slowly before changing the seating depth. unless it is needed first.

also does your cases get scratched when you use the clip ?
sodwyer

Post by sodwyer »

I have noticed some case scratches when using the mag not sure what that indicates. there is no real resistace when closeing the bolt. the mag length is 2.360 so I tried a COAL of 2.350 and 2.300 last night it did seen to improve the vertical grop by about half however I did not have acsess to a crony to compare the E.S I think I will try 10 shot groups through the crony on monday to varify my results. thanks for the help 204cat
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Post by 204cat »

the resistance to bolt closure would be if the bullet is touching the lands. some seem to like a little jump. just a check to see if they are touching the lands. the case scratching is a personal choice. i do not care for it so i use mine like a single shot and load one in at a time. since mine gouged the cases i was concerned with safety that they might break open when fired from a weaker structure. it seems that a lot of the sps rifles scratch the cases.

would suggest staying with 5 shot groups for consistency. at the range this week i got 3/4 inch groups. not the worst i have ever done or the best but enjoyable. a few touching or overlapping also a bonus.

so you did reduce the load ?

welcome.
sodwyer

Post by sodwyer »

I have measured the chamber length a 2.409 and the max COAL I was useing was 2.350 so with 0.059 distance from the lands I did not reduce the load yet. I would like to retest as it supports the volocity I would like to achive (4000 range) If this load does not prove acurate I will reduce.
noneck180
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Super Varmint..

Post by noneck180 »

bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

I can tell you this about veritical (and horizontal) stringing, In my cast it is usually the shooter.

My savage VLP is very touchy about hold. I can deliberately cause a horizontal or a vertical string on a calm day just by adjusting my hold. I don't have "it" figured out yet though :huh: . When things are right my 3-shot group (too scared to do more) will be about 1" @ 300. Otherwise, it will be a string. I can do this off bags or off a 'pod.

I just about drove myself nuts trying to load-out my stringing... :wall: