26" 204 Encore barrel

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
sk330lc
.204 Ruger Guns: 26" Encore

26" 204 Encore barrel

Post by sk330lc »

Hello ,
This is my first post here. I have a 26" SS Encore barrel and have been playing with the 39gr BK's I have to say that it has been Giving great groups at 100Yards.
I'm using New Rem brass, Federal 205 std. Primers and a near Max load of RL-10. I'm FL sizing. All cases are trimmed to a Minimal Length.
I'm getting .250" 4 shot groupds with a Flyer that opens it up to .500" . What is causing the flyer? It never happens in the same shot sequince. could be the first shot, could be the fourth or third. I have floated my forend with o-rings and sanded the ears so they don't touch the frame. I place the forend on my rest the same way every time. :wall:
You guys have any Ideas?
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: 26" 204 Encore barrel

Post by Joe O »

I'm still working up loads on a 23" factory Bull barrel in my .204 G2 Contender,using 32gr Sie BK,but it has been windy since I installed a new Bullberry target forend on a barrel hanger.I was in the 3s with a few loads.Difficult to say about you one flyer,but I would consentrate on load tecniques.Try weighing the powder load for each 5 shot group you want to try.Just neck size for these loads.I don't know how often I'll need to full lingth resize for the G2 or the Ruger#1 I just started working up,but I got a Redding Body die,just in case.My Savage bolt gun has had 11 loadings with Federal Brass,before FL sizing.The break open and falling block will require Fl sizing more often.Also try a different powder,like Varget,8208 XBR,or 4895 to name a few.
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

I have the same T/C Encore SS .204 barrel that you have on my Encore, one of three different .204's I own (BTW it does not stabilize the 40gr. Hornadys). There are several things you can do to reduce or eliminate the flyers. Sort brass by weight, sort bullets not only by weight but by base to ogive length; use Competition bushing neck dies (or "S" type F.L. dies) and Comp. micrometer seater (Redding). Measure all loaded rounds for C.O.A.L consistency. Hand weigh all charges and IMHO use Rem. 7 1/2BR primers with RL-10X (assuming all brass cases have been FULLY prepped and sorted by weight and case neck thickness and neck thickness does not exceed .001" run out w.o being turned) Use "Bore Tech" C-4 carbon remover followed by "Eliminator" to keep the fouling out of the picture. IMHO the "Encore" has a poor trigger pull at best as it comes from the factory, so I would order a trigger kit or send the action in to have a trigger job done. Concentricity---Concentricity----Concentricity.
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
sk330lc
.204 Ruger Guns: 26" Encore

Post by sk330lc »

Thanks guys,
I have had a trigger job Done. Just about 2lb Pull +/- . I did not sort the brass or Bullets. This does make good sense. I'm not a bench rest shooter. So alot of the things you mention are new to me. I'll sorting the brass by weight and bullet by legth and see what that does. I'll try the 71/2 Primers as well . From there i might invest in a good set of redding dies. I'm using the RCBS std. FL die set now.
I would like to start shooting in a few Varmint class comp with this set up.
If I can keep the groups around .250" and under I know I can compete. Winning would be nice But I'm not sure I have the Time or Money to do that. Some of the guys I know Have $3500 to $4000 In scope and rifle they shoot. I have maybe $1000 invested in My set up.
Encore Custom shop SS Engraved frame, Laminated Brown black Thumbhole stock , Factory 26" ss 204 Barrel Weaver Base, rings and a 4x12-40 AO VX-II Fine Recticle Luepold scope.
The 204 is a Fun little Cartridge.
Feel free to add what you think. I love new insites!
CUSTOM12U
.204 Ruger Guns: encore

Post by CUSTOM12U »

You can try to either bed the forearm or pillar. One great site it Tony's encore grip and forearms. They are pillar bedded and very nice. I just put one on my rig. It is usually the forearm on the contenders and encores that send fliers. You can also try a hanger bar and Stratton Custom ( formerly from virgin valley bbl's) makes a nice one. Look at his site and there is info there Here is a pic of the forearm....

I had to open up the forearm for my BBL only as I had it made as a step up bbl from MGM to 1 1/4"OD. It is 22" long and the frame had the trigger done and is at 1 pound and breaks like glass. I have not shot this rig yet ( waiting on a scope) but it should be a a good one.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Keep us updated on how she shoots.I couldn't find anyaftermarket rt thumhole stocks for a G2 contender,ten found OTT in NH that sold a clip the allowed the encore stock to go on the contender.Works great and then had Bullberry inlet a 2x2 x12" piece of walnut to match the factory stock I got from MidSouth ,and shaped/finished it myself.It added needed weight to the light contender.I have been loading nothing but BL C (2) with Sie 32gr BK .Been up to 30.3 gr when pressure signs started.May try another powder if I have the time for load development
on three other guns.Finalized one today and close on another.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Nice rig!! :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen