Started on my Reloadiong/Gun room

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
TD-Max

Started on my Reloadiong/Gun room

Post by TD-Max »

Let's see if the image goes:

Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: Started on my Reloadiong/Gun room

Post by Clint E »

Wow that looks sweet. That is going to be nice when it gets done. Keep us posted
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

I'm comin' over!!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TD: Very, very nice indeed. Looks like a very nice clean start for a well lit reloading room.

They always start out like that.....nice and neat, clean and all. THEN they morph into something else....like the shop of every old gun maker you've ever been in...cluttered, crap stashed everywhere, organized chaos. Then you wonder....."how'd it ever git like this?"

Here's how....... This room "only" has a 25 year accumulation of crap. Just brace yourself for what will come eventually......more crap!

Seriously, your room looks very promising. You may want to think about more shelves for all the reloading supplies you'll need eventually..... Nice job. :D (My pic is about four years old.....it's even worse now! :shock: )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

One suggestion I"ll make is a rubber mat on your floor to help with static electricity..........since you starting with metal cabnets and you'll be working with powder.
Rick ............Happy to see our re-loading benches have a couple things in common............emperial sizing lub and a calculator for starters :chin:
Later guys.
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Okay, here's a part of my gun room - the neat side. Other side is safes, cases and a closet full of shelves with so many die sets I ordered duplicates because I didn't see the ones I had! :(

Some day I'll build a shop on the lot to store all the stuff. My garage has a wall with a gunsmithing workbench, and the food pantry is stuffed with components. Mrs. Wrangler just finished disassembling about 1,000 rounds of miscellaneous ammo dating back to the 1980's! Next stop is the metal scrappers, so I'm making headway.
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Thanks Guys,

Walls, floor, ceiling all concrete. I'll look at some matting as well. Floor is epoxied so I'm not sure I want to cover it. I definitely like anti fatigue mats, but that makes using a stool a big pain in the butt.

My plan is to keep most everything inside thr drawers. I can keep many thousands of rounds inside. With the MTM small cartridge boxes I can get I think 800rds of 204 per drawer. I wish they made one just a hair larger for the 22-250 and 260 stuff. I can get 600 per drawer, but need the taller drawers seen in the 3rd cabinet since the boxes waste so much space. Larger equipment like gun vice etc will go overhead.

At one point I was thinking I'd use nutserts so I could remove the press, but now I think I'll permanently mount it.

Now what should I use for gun racks? Something along the lines of the 9 gun rack here: http://www.gun-racks.com/
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

TD, that's a fine looking room! I'm sure you will have many hours of fun in there reloading. And yes, I think you will want to make the press mount permanent (or at least very solid). Now what Rick doesn't say about all of his "crap" is that it really is well organized. You know the old saying: " A place for everything, and everything in it's place". Gary
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Now you're talking! Concrete walls, ceiling and floor. That's what I want - a vault with a vault door, one I can't hear Mrs. Wrangler through! :D

She says my room looks like a junk yard, so she occasionally cleans it up for me. Of course then I can't find anything.

I wish I was as neat as you. Those racks look good too, wish I didn't have to stash everything away in safes.

If you're in a virtual concrete vault, what about humidity control? I toss silica gel packs into each bin of loaded ammo and the safes too. Discovered my RCBS case activated powder measure getting a bit rusty. Constant battle against moisture, but I'm on a peninsula surrounded by ocean.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Nice start.Most of us dom't have the space or equipment drawers like that.As far as rifle racks ,I would put my cleaning table on the long back wall,with a wall mount verticle gun rack,over that.Looks like,with permantly mounted bench presses,hanging over the edge of your loading bench,you'll loose the use of at least two drawers.I use a raised office type chair w/rollers for wark at my High benches.You could also load off a small bench (movable),along the blank wall,and the gun cleanin/work on your long bench,wth anti fatigue matts along the front.
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

The room started out as a root cellar/cold storage, but then I got better ideas. I can still store some veggies and survival stuff in the back. The walls are all ICF and clad in drywall. The ceiling is just 6" thick solid with 1/2" rebar on 12" centers. It has it's own loop of radiant floor heat which I leave off. Temps run around 60°f in winter. I have a duct in and out to circulate air. There is also a gap beneath the threshold that I think I will leave. So far it's been really good for humidity holding 55-60%

As for the press I have the Forster Co-ax. It only has the two rods and the primer cup that hang down and these will work nicely centered between two sets of cabinet drawers.

Still contemplating making it removeable though. I'd rout in an insert into the wood part of the top and drop bolts through. I also have my RCBS case power trimmer to worry about mounting. Need to get that thing secure. I've been two handing it for too long.

Anyhow, when the storms come I know where to go.

Now if I could only convince her that the other leg under the porch should be a 50' indoor target range...
Last edited by TD-Max on Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bitman
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF

Post by Bitman »

This is my combination shotshell/rifle loading room.

TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Nice setup, but I hope I never acquire that much stuff.

No I'm not in denial, truth be told I didn't do much shooting at all last year. This year I hope to get out more though.
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Started to move some stuff in. I stand corrected on the round per drawer count. The 204 rounds in the MTM R100 boxes I can get 1200/drawer with room to spare. There are 5 of the short drawers in the first cabinet alone so you get the point. I'm hoping to find dimensions for the MTM RM100 boxes for storing the 22-250 and 260 Rem loads. If they are a bit smaller I may be able to get 800rds per drawer. The Deluxe boxes that I have are just too bulky and will likley end up on a shelf or stacked on the floor. While storage boxes are not the most space efficient means of storage they sure make it easy to count and to grab-n-go.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

The Pics have inspired me.Yesterday I cleaned all the boxes,empty powder kegs,etc,out.Couldn't believe all the long gun boxes I had,and don't know how they got there.LOL.It's all the Shotgun wads,cases,etc, that take so much room,plus four MEC presses;three moveable for storage,but need to get them off the floor.