32's reload vs 39 factory

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Gmetme
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber .204 Ruger

32's reload vs 39 factory

Post by Gmetme »

I'll try and keep this short..
A little pre-amble.. I've a Kimber Varmint in 204R, and have tried several factory loads. When I first bought this rifle, I found that factory 32's didn't do well eg 5 shot grouping in around an inch and half. (Hornady). factory 40 and 45 - again Hornady seemed more consistant at around an inch- inch and half, Then they didn't then they did..etc etc. Finally, I bought some Win 34 JHP, Sellior&Bellot 32, and Federal 32 and 39. All the 32's didn't do real well as mentioned. The Win 34 was quite good, and then the fed 39 very good for factory - av. around 3/4 inch at 100. All were shot in near perfect conditions, off a BiPod and sandbags/shoulder. Near simulates the type of shooting I'd be doing. I was always trying to be consistant, and follow "the rules".
A year or two down the track, I've found the Fed. 39s are the best, followed by the Win 34's. I have some HMS with 33gr calhouns, and they are still not as good as the F39's. How unusual :duh: Enough.
I'm about to buy a reloading kit and other bits and bobs to try and extract the best from this rifle, and therefore am an absolute (but well read) newbie at this reloading caper..looking forward to it.
A question though is, can I expect to be able to get half moa load with 32gr pills, with a rifle that seems to like 39s?
Would slowing down a 32 load be more accurate c.f. factory 4200+/- (advertised) help?
It may seem as if it's defeating the purpose of a fast round, but I'd like to get the best in various loads for this rifle.
Another quickie.. I'm looking at a RCBS rockchucker supreme kit, maybe a Hornady Classic Kit, or if I can, a Redding of similar quality.
Any recommendations? Some stuff can be hard to get here, although I think the 3 mentioned are available..(the first two I know are..)
If you couldn't guess, I'd like some good accuracy out of this cool rifle, if this is possible in 32gr for small amimals up to 39+/- for larger - up to goat size. (the 34gr win is good for these up to 100 yds with the right placed shot)
Thanks, Bob.
Cephus91
.204 Ruger Guns: M77 Mark II Stainless

Re: 32's reload vs 39 factory

Post by Cephus91 »

I recently bought the hornady kit. I like it all very much except the scale - it does not stay calibrated. I am new to reloading as well, but you can get .5 groups with that gun. I have had luck with the lower charges.
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Bob - I got a Rockchucker about 25 years ago and it's still going strong. In my experience Redding builds the best dies for a conventional press. If you're seeking accuracy, their competition dies are well worth the money.

Are you going to load for more than just the .204?

For my precision .308, and my .204 I use a little RW Hart arbor press and Wilson dies - this is a complete departure from the normal reloading press and works very well. Nothing interchanges with a standard press - its' a whole different game, and only neck sizes the brass. I find it terrific for producing accurate .204 loads, or competition loads for my .308 Win. Just an alternative worth considering.

For accuracy, my rifle (a CZ) showed a preference for the 40 gr factory ammo instead of the 32's. Consequently I've loaded mostly 40 gr Hornady V-Max bullets for it, but recently tried the 35 gr Berger and found them to be very accurate. They don't offer a real high BC though, so if longish shots are normal for you, the 39 gr Sierras would seem to be the right choice.

Regards, Guy
Gmetme
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber .204 Ruger

Post by Gmetme »

Thanks fellas. Guy M, I have an old Model 25 Remington in 25-20WCF that I inherited from my Dad some time ago, and 4 rounds. 4. I recently visited a Gunshop here who had a few packets of New ammo in this caliber. I bought 5 packets thinking I can reload once fired. I don't plan on using this rifle anyway...it's just 'there', but I now could use it.. :chin: .
I've been thinking of a couple of new calibers to add to the cabinet.. maybe something in the .17 range, or possibly a wssm. Another 204?..I like the look of the CZ527. It would compliment the HMR in my cabinet :D .Anyway, I'll concentrate on the Kimber for now to get the best out of it and gain some proficiency in reloading.
I'll probably get the RCBS kit to start and later get some redding dies...when I know what I'm talking about!!
Cheers, Bob.